航空 发表于 2010-6-28 18:25:30

pressure points

<P>pressure points</P>
<P>**** Hidden Message *****</P>

航空 发表于 2010-6-28 18:25:52

36 FLIGHT SAFETY AUSTRALIA MARCH–APRIL 2006<BR>FLYING OPERATIONS<BR>Loss of pressure is a big killer. The<BR>internationally respected Air Safety<BR>Network lists six major regular public<BR>transport (RPT) accidents involving<BR>depressurisation since 1970, with a combined<BR>death toll of 719.<BR>The most recent – and infamous – was<BR>the crash of Helios Airways Flight 522 on<BR>August 14 last year, when all 121 on board<BR>perished. The Boeing 737-31S ran out of<BR>fuel and slammed into a hill 40 km north<BR>of Athens after it had failed to pressurise.<BR>Most likely, the crew lost consciousness as<BR>the aircraft climbed above 10,000 ft.<BR>In Australia, in September 2000, a<BR>Beech Super King Air, registered VH-SKC,<BR>claimed the lives of seven miners and their<BR>pilot when it crashed on a property in Burketown<BR>in remote north Queensland.<BR>The men were travelling to Western Australia’s<BR>Goldfields from Perth., a distance of<BR>some 600 km. After flying five hours and<BR>3,000 km across Western Australia and the<BR>Northern Territory, the aircraft ran out of<BR>fuel. Although the cause of the accident<BR>may never be known, the ATSB found that<BR>the aircraft was, “… probably unpressurised<BR>for a significant part of its climb and cruise<BR>for undetermined reasons. The pilot and<BR>passengers were incapacitated, probably<BR>due to hypobaric hypoxia because of the<BR>high cabin altitude”.<BR>No-one is immune. In 1981 I also nearly<BR>joined the long list of pressurisation victims.<BR>I was taking a Cessna 425 (twin PT6 powered<BR>cabin-class Cessna) from Bankstown<BR>to Essendon for some maintenance. I felt<BR>very comfortable in the aircraft, because I<BR>was part of the crew that flew it from the<BR>US to Sydney. I lodged a flight plan, filled<BR>the aircraft’s fuel tanks and departed for<BR>Essendon. I was by myself, so early in the<BR>climb I engaged the autopilot, preset the<BR>cruise altitude for the cleared FL250, and<BR>dealt with ATC and the busy traffic out of<BR>the Sydney area.<BR>During the climb I became aware that<BR>something was not right. I was a little<BR>flushed and slow, but at first I could not work<BR>out what the problem was. Then, remembering<BR>the symptoms of hypoxia from my<BR>military decompression chamber training,<BR>I checked the cabin altitude. I was shocked<BR>to see the cabin at 16,000 ft, and climbing.<BR>Straight away I slapped on an oxygen mask.<BR>Once I felt my senses restored, I contacted<BR>ATC and asked for descent to a lower level.<BR>Troubleshooting on descent I found the<BR>“pressurise/depressurise” switch (hard to<BR>see under the cabin dump knob) in the<BR>POINTS<BR>Hundreds have lost their lives as a result of<BR>pressurisation problems. John McGhie explains the<BR>basics of how the pressure system works and what to<BR>do when there is a problem.<BR>Out of it: As soon as there is an indication of<BR>a pressurisation problem you need to don<BR>an oxygen mask. Otherwise you risk loss<BR>of judgement and other even more serious<BR>effects due to hypoxia.<BR>Rob Fox<BR>MARCH–APRIL 2006 FLIGHT SAFETY AUSTRALIA 37<BR>FLYING OPERATIONS<BR>“depressurise” position. My mistake – I had<BR>missed it on the pre-flight! I reset the switch,<BR>reset the cabin altitude, and climbed back to<BR>my planned cruise level.<BR>I was lucky. If I had not felt uneasy and<BR>remembered my experience in the decompression<BR>chamber the aircraft would have<BR>continued the climb. I would have lapsed<BR>into unconsciousness and the aircraft<BR>would have continued on its way until it ran<BR>out of fuel, probably somewhere south of<BR>Tasmania.<BR>If you want to avoid becoming a pressurisation<BR>statistic, particularly if you are new to<BR>flying pressurised aircraft, it is vital that you<BR>understand the basics of why and how the<BR>system works, and the importance of correct<BR>handling of pressurisation problems.<BR>Pump up the pressure: Let’s start with the<BR>basics. Luckily for us, the ratio of oxygen to<BR>the other gasses remains constant at 21 per<BR>cent, even as we climb and the atmospheric<BR>pressure drops from its sea level value.<BR>However, as the atmospheric pressure<BR>drops the pressure of oxygen also drops –<BR>until your lungs struggle to transfer enough<BR>oxygen to the bloodstream. That’s when<BR>you suffer the effects of lack of oxygen – the<BR>dreaded hypoxia. There are several key altitudes<BR>involved in staving off hypoxic effects:<BR>above 10,000 ft you need supplemental oxygen<BR>to maintain bodily functions, above<BR>30,000 ft this supplemental oxygen needs<BR>to be 100 per cent of the gas you breathe,<BR>and above 40,000 ft the oxygen needs to be<BR>delivered to your lungs under pressure.<BR>Because the ratio of oxygen remains the<BR>same at different altitudes in the atmosphere,<BR>a supply of compressed air will<BR>allow you to continue to function. This is<BR>done by pressurising the cockpit and cabin<BR>areas of the aircraft. You can then function<BR>without the impediment of oxygen masks.<BR>A back-up supply of oxygen is provided<BR>should there be problems with the pressurisation<BR>system.<BR>For passenger comfort the aircraft cabin<BR>should remain no higher than around 8,000<BR>ft, and for safety not above 10,000 ft. Cabin<BR>temperature also needs to be maintained at<BR>a comfortable level of about +25&ordm; C.<BR>For pressurised flight you need two<BR>things: an enclosed cabin, in the form of a<BR>pressure vessel, and a way to compress air<BR>to raise the pressure inside the chamber, in<BR>effect lowering the altitude of the cabin to a<BR>safe level.<BR>In most cases the outer walls of the cabin<BR>area (the aircraft skin) can form the side<BR>walls of the pressure vessel. The front and<BR>back of the pressure vessel usually take the<BR>form of bulkheads as the extremities of the<BR>aircraft are not needed for passenger use.<BR>Often these unpressurised areas will contain<BR>services such as hydraulic and electrical<BR>systems. Some smaller aircraft may have<BR>The forces on a normal entry<BR>door at maximum differential can<BR>be over five tonnes.<BR>Helios tragedy: On August 14 last year, Helios Flight 522 enroute from Cyprus to Prague, crashed<BR>into a hilly area near Athens after losing pressure. The accident serves as a stark reminder of the<BR>dangers of hypoxia.<BR>Courtesy: Quinn Savit<BR>AAP<BR>38 FLIGHT SAFETY AUSTRALIA MARCH–APRIL 2006<BR>FLYING OPERATIONS<BR>baggage holds in these unpressurised areas,<BR>leading to some interesting effects with<BR>passenger personal items such as shampoo<BR>bottles!<BR>To maintain a cabin altitude of 8,000 ft at<BR>an aircraft altitude of 35,000 ft requires a differential<BR>in pressure between the inside and<BR>outside of about 7.0 psi or 50 kPa (usually<BR>measured on a cabin pressure differential<BR>gauge). To contain this pressure differential,<BR>the aircraft structure must be strong enough<BR>to withstand high outward loads from the<BR>internal pressure.<BR>Additionally, the cycle of pressure – in<BR>which the aircraft moves from being unpressurised<BR>on the ground to pressurised in the<BR>climb and cruise – will impose cyclic fatigue<BR>loading on the structure.<BR>It was this cyclic load that led to serious<BR>problems in the early days of jet air transport.<BR>In 1953 the problem surfaced when a<BR>De Havilland Comet crashed in mysterious<BR>circumstances shortly after takeoff. Two<BR>similar accidents followed soon afterwards,<BR>causing British authorities to ground the<BR>entire fleet of the world’s first jet airliner.<BR>The cause was eventually traced to<BR>fatigue cracks around the square windows<BR>following repeated pressurisation and<BR>depressurisation. The problem is now well<BR>understood.<BR>Several methods have been used to<BR>“pump up” the cabin pressure. In the early<BR>days, dedicated compressors – or blowers<BR>– were used. In jet and turbo prop aircraft,<BR>the engines provide a source of air suitable<BR>for pressurisation by tapping the compressor<BR>sections of the engines. Similarly, piston<BR>engines using turbo chargers now provide<BR>a source of air suitable for pressurisation of<BR>the cabin, and aircraft such as the Cessna<BR>421 use this method very successfully.<BR>Air from jet-engine compressors, or turbo<BR>chargers, is normally very hot and needs to<BR>be cooled before use in the cabin. Air entering<BR>the cabin must also be regulated and<BR>conditioned; passengers do not appreciate<BR>raw engine bleed air in their faces! This can<BR>be done by combinations of air-to-air intercoolers<BR>or, as used on most jet aircraft, by<BR>passing the air through air-cycle machines,<BR>which can also provide a source of cold air<BR>for cooling in hot conditions. Freon cooling<BR>systems, similar to car air conditioning, are<BR>also used in some aircraft.<BR>Control: Once a source of regulated and<BR>conditioned air entering the cabin is assured,<BR>you need to control the pressure in the<BR>cabin to safe and comfortable levels. This is<BR>the job of the pressurisation controller and<BR>associated outflow valves. Using a relatively<BR>constant inward flow – that is, from the<BR>bleed-air source – the pressure differential<BR>is controlled by allowing excess air pressure<BR>to escape outside the cabin through outflow<BR>valve(s). Preset safety features of these<BR>valves, or a dedicated safety valve, prevent<BR>excess pressure building up in the cabin.<BR>There are many variations of controllers<BR>– you should check your flight manual for<BR>details. The simpler controllers use air pressure<BR>and a source of vacuum to operate the<BR>valves to maintain a preset cabin altitude or<BR>cabin rate of climb. The actual cabin altitude,<BR>pressure differential and cabin rate of<BR>climb and descent are shown on dedicated<BR>gauges.<BR>Theoretically, you would want a perfectly<BR>sealed pressure vessel to ease the amount of<BR>air required from the engines for pressurisation.<BR>Practically you must have access holes<BR>in the structure such as doors, windows,<BR>cargo hatches, control cable runs, electrical<BR>cables and hydraulic system pipes.<BR>Various methods are used to seal these<BR>access areas, such as inflatable seals around<BR>doors, or seals around control cables. Ideally<BR>doors and hatches will be of a “plug” type<BR>where the increase in pressure as you climb<BR>will tend to force the door onto the structure<BR>to maintain a good seal. In smaller aircraft,<BR>doors will normally open outwards and so<BR>need to be held in place with pins that seat<BR>in the door surround.<BR>The forces on a normal entry door at maximum<BR>differential can be over five tonnes,<BR>so some form of safety mechanism has to<BR>be used to prevent the door from opening in<BR>flight. Failure to correctly set the pressurisation<BR>value for landing can lead to problems<BR>resulting from pressure retained in the<BR>cabin, such as a sudden release of pressure<BR>when the safety valve opens on landing or<BR>the possibility of a sudden and violent opening<BR>of a door.<BR>Pressurisation systems are simple to set<BR>and use provided the flight manual procedures<BR>are followed. You set the pressurisation<BR>controller for the desired cruising level<BR>before takeoff and normally you select “ON”<BR>for the air source (bleed air). Before descent<BR>you set the destination altitude, usually plus<BR>a small margin to ensure a depressurised<BR>cabin. You then monitor the cabin rate of<BR>descent and altitude to ensure passenger<BR>comfort during descent and arrival.<BR>Care must be taken when you depart<BR>from – and arrive at – aerodromes with different<BR>altitudes. When you depart a high<BR>aerodrome for a low one, the aircraft’s pressure<BR>will climb and the cabin pressure will<BR>The most critical action is<BR>to maintain the level of oxygen<BR>in the body. You must don a<BR>working oxygen mask as soon<BR>as a pressurisation problem is<BR>suspected<BR>Altitude (ft) Approximate time of<BR>useful consciousness<BR>18,000 20-30 minutes<BR>22,000 10 minutes<BR>25,000 3-5 minutes<BR>28,000 2-3 minutes<BR>30,000 1-2 minutes<BR>35,000 30 seconds to 1 minute<BR>40,000 15-20 seconds<BR>43,000 9-12 seconds<BR>50,000 9-12 seconds<BR>21%<BR>1%<BR>78%<BR>Black-out: Without sufficient oxygen the brain<BR>shuts down quickly. At 35-40,000 ft you have<BR>onlyseconds of useful consciousness. Note that<BR>reactions to hypoxia vary widely, and time are<BR>indicative only.<BR>USEFUL CONSCIOUSNESS THE AIR YOU BREATHE<BR>Constant: The ratio of oxygen to other gasses in<BR>the atmosphere remains roughly constant at 21<BR>per cent, regardless of altitude.<BR>MARCH–APRIL 2006 FLIGHT SAFETY AUSTRALIA 39<BR>FLYING OPERATIONS<BR>go down – a unique situation.<BR>Before opening any door after landing at<BR>your destination, you must make sure that<BR>the differential pressure is at zero. A simple<BR>check is to try to open the pilots DV window<BR>– if it opens with no problem, the pressure<BR>must be at zero.<BR>Problem management: As with any aircraft<BR>system, problems can be encountered with<BR>pressurisation systems. In all cases, the aircraft<BR>manufacturer’s emergency and abnormal<BR>procedures must be followed explicitly,<BR>promptly and correctly. This is the only way<BR>to ensure a safe outcome to any pressurisation<BR>problem.<BR>The most critical action is to maintain the<BR>level of oxygen in the body. You must don a<BR>working oxygen mask as soon as a pressurisation<BR>problem is suspected. This is essential<BR>because your time of useful consciousness is<BR>limited (see chart).<BR>Problems can be broadly categorised into<BR>air leaks and air source problems. Leaks can<BR>occur slowly, such as when door seals do not<BR>work correctly, or suddenly such as a major<BR>component failure. Often door and hatch<BR>failures result from incorrect closing procedures.<BR>You should treat door and hatch closing<BR>as an important part of the aircraft preflight<BR>checklist.<BR>A small leak can be handled by the system<BR>and its only effect may be the noise created by<BR>the escaping air. Large or sudden leaks will<BR>cause a rise in cabin altitude, with the rate of<BR>the rise depending on the size of the leak. A<BR>major leak can lead the cabin altitude to rise<BR>quickly to the same value as the aircraft altitude<BR>(the term “explosive decompression” is<BR>used to describe the extreme case of this).<BR>This causes considerable distress to crew<BR>and passengers, and the effects on ears and<BR>sinuses can be painful. Aircraft capable of<BR>flight above 25,000 ft provide passengers<BR>with automatically presented oxygen masks.<BR>Problems can also occur due to the source<BR>of the bleed air. Internal engine oil leaks can<BR>contaminate the bleed air leading to fumes<BR>and even smoke in the cabin. Again, the first<BR>action when you notice any smoke or fumes<BR>should be to don an oxygen mask and select<BR>100 per cent oxygen to ensure you have an uncontaminated<BR>breathing source. You should<BR>then follow the manufacturer’s instructions<BR>to ensure a safe outcome. This will normally<BR>require the shutting off of the source(s) of<BR>bleed air to shut off the smoke or fumes.<BR>You need to be careful to correctly operate<BR>the pressurisation system. Failure to<BR>turn on the pressurisation air source can<BR>result in the onset of subtle hypoxia during<BR>climb. It is critical to check that the cabin is<BR>pressurised before a climb above 10,000 ft.<BR>You should check the pressurisation every<BR>5,000 ft during climb, checking that the<BR>cabin pressure gauge shows an appropriate<BR>differential pressure and that the cabin altitude<BR>is less than the aircraft altitude.<BR>Pressurised aircraft regularly operate<BR>in the rarefied air above 10,000 ft. Understanding<BR>the environment in which we<BR>operate, and the aircraft systems that<BR>allow us to operate in this area, can lead<BR>to many thousands of hours of safe and<BR>comfortable flying.<BR>John McGhie is an authorised testing officer and<BR>former CASA flying operations inspector. For further<BR>information check out, “Oxygen first”, a video about<BR>hypoxia. It’s available from CASA’s online store at<BR><A href="http://www.casa.jsmcmillan.com.au">www.casa.jsmcmillan.com.au</A>.<BR>150 200 250 300<BR>0 5 10 15 x 104<BR>0 .5 1.0 1.5<BR>200 250 300 350<BR>K (temp)<BR>0<BR>10<BR>20<BR>30<BR>40<BR>50<BR>60<BR>70<BR>80<BR>90<BR>100<BR>Geometric altitude in kilometres<BR>Temperature<BR>Speed of sound<BR>Density<BR>Pressure<BR>N/m2(pressure)<BR>kg/m3(density)<BR>m/sec(speed of sound)<BR>Mesopause<BR>Stratopause<BR>Tropopause<BR>Troposphere<BR>Mesophere<BR>Stratosphere<BR>Thermosphere<BR>Struggle: As atmospheric pressure drops the pressure of oxygen also drops until your lungs struggle<BR>to transfer enough oxygen to the bloodstream. Above 10,000 ft you need supplemental oxygen to<BR>maintain bodily functions, above 30,000 ft this supplemental oxygen will need to be 100 per cent of the<BR>gas you breathe, and above 40,000 ft the oxygen will need to enter your lungs under pressure.<BR>ALTITUDE, DENSITY AND PRESSURE

小勺儿 发表于 2010-7-1 18:36:21

太好了 感谢分享

胖子 发表于 2010-8-31 20:35:39

<P>&nbsp;:) :) 感谢</P>

bocome 发表于 2011-7-31 11:29:29

pressure points
页: [1]
查看完整版本: pressure points