航空 发表于 2010-8-16 00:18:02

Central Air Safety An Investigation Gone Right

<P>**** Hidden Message *****</P>

航空 发表于 2010-8-16 00:18:22

April 2000 – US AIRWAVES 9<BR>John Cox (PHL)<BR>Vice Chairman, ALPA Executive Air Safety Committee<BR>Central Air Safety<BR>“ . . . all operators<BR>of the Airbus<BR>318/319/320/321<BR>will be told what<BR>we learned and<BR>how to avoid or<BR>contend with the<BR>problems that one<BR>of our flight crews<BR>experienced.”<BR>An Investigation Gone Right<BR>All too often, the reports we hear are<BR>about the story of an incident and an<BR>investigation gone wrong. Occasionally,<BR>there is a story about an incident where the<BR>investigation goes the way it should. In January,<BR>an event occurred in Charlotte that started an<BR>investigation where cooperation, diligence, and<BR>hard work came together to produce a better<BR>understanding about the inter-workings of our<BR>Airbus 319/320s. As a result, all operators of<BR>the Airbus 318/319/320/321 will be told what<BR>we learned and how to avoid or contend with the<BR>problems that one of our flight crews experienced.<BR>In mid-January, a low-pressure system reduced<BR>the visibility in Charlotte to less than one<BR>mile with snow falling. As the snow accumulated,<BR>runway plowing caused a single runway to<BR>be used. Air traffic control vectored one of our<BR>A319s for the ILS approach to Runway 36R.<BR>This A319 was one of a large number of<BR>inbound aircraft. Because there was only one<BR>runway in use, when the Airbus received clearance<BR>for the ILS approach, they were over 25<BR>miles from the runway threshold. In level flight,<BR>flying 160 knots at 3600 feet, the Captain armed<BR>the approach mode and armed the second autopilot<BR>in accordance with procedure. Soon afterwards,<BR>they approached the localizer and the<BR>Airbus turned to intercept it. As they tracked<BR>the localizer, all appeared normal.<BR>As they closed to 22 miles from the runway,<BR>the airplane pitched up abruptly. The crew<BR>realized that the airspeed had deteriorated below<BR>135 knots. Quickly, the Captain disengaged<BR>the autopilot and autothrust systems. As<BR>expected, the A319 responded normally to the<BR>manual inputs made by the Captain. They descended<BR>back to 3,600 feet and accelerated<BR>back to 160 knots. What just happened? Why<BR>did it occur? Would it happen again?<BR>After reengaging the autopilot and autothrust,<BR>the airplane flew a normal coupled approach<BR>and auto-landing. Arriving at the gate the Captain<BR>entered the pitch event into the maintenance<BR>logbook. As one would expect, the<BR>outbound flight canceled.<BR>First indications were that an angle of attack<BR>sensor provided incorrect information, and that<BR>caused the pitch up. Later, upon further analysis,<BR>this did not prove to be correct. The crew<BR>contacted the Company and the ALPA Central<BR>Air Safety Committee.<BR>After some initial conversations with the<BR>Fleet Manager, Captain Bob Skinner, we realized<BR>that there were several unanswered questions<BR>and very similar levels of concern. This<BR>was a significant inflight event and there was<BR>not a good explanation of the cause.<BR>We decided that this required much more<BR>investigation. A call to our Airbus avionicsengineering<BR>experts in Tampa verified the de10<BR>US AIRWAVES – April 2000<BR>Central Air Safety<BR>tails of the event. As we studied the flight data<BR>recorder, several anomalies appeared. We began<BR>to ask specific questions of Airbus to help<BR>us understand what happened.<BR>A conference call followed with the Airbus<BR>engineers at the factory in Toulouse. They explained<BR>what they saw in the flight data recorder<BR>data. At the conclusion of the call, there were<BR>still many unanswered questions. We discussed<BR>using the engineering simulator to recreate the<BR>event. Airbus concurred, and they set up the<BR>time and the needed experts for the tests. After<BR>a short debate, we decided that it would be<BR>prudent for a couple of us to attend the tests.<BR>Just before leaving for Toulouse, we were<BR>able to contact ALPA Safety representatives at<BR>other airlines that operate the Airbus and ask if<BR>they were aware of any similar events. Surprisingly,<BR>the answer came back that some of the<BR>maintenance engineers were aware, but the pilots<BR>were not.<BR>Two days later, we arrived in Toulouse and<BR>met with the Airbus engineers in person. Over<BR>the next two days, we agreed on the conditions<BR>that we would use in the simulator. Additionally,<BR>we agreed that the participants in a postsimulator<BR>meeting would decide on future action.<BR>The stage was set to not only understand<BR>the event but to take newly learned information<BR>and distribute it to other operators.<BR>Early in the morning, we met at the engineering<BR>simulator. Along with the engineers was a<BR>pilot from the Flight Testing Department. The<BR>technicians loaded the data into the simulator,<BR>and we began our tests. As expected, the simulator<BR>followed the flight path of the event airplane.<BR>It began to pitch up 22 miles from the<BR>runway threshold just as the event airplane had.<BR>The flight data recorder had recorded a glide<BR>slope signal prior to the event. As the A319<BR>tracked the localizer, all the conditions were<BR>armed for a glide slope intercept. This would<BR>have been normal except for the large scallop in<BR>the glide slope signal that occurred causing the<BR>flight management guidance computer to believe<BR>that the aircraft was approaching the glide<BR>slope. It then switched into glide slope ‘*’<BR>(capture) mode. The scallop was very quick so<BR>that the computer believed it was below a valid<BR>glide slope and began to climb. This explained<BR>the pitch-up and the quick rate of the pitch-up<BR>because glide slope * can command up to three<BR>times the normal pitch rate to capture the glide<BR>slope. In addition, we then understood the<BR>airspeed decay. It is normal for the Airbus to<BR>“ The event was<BR>the result of the<BR>airplane performing<BR>exactly as<BR>designed. Pilot<BR>intervention was<BR>appropriate and<BR>necessary. ”<BR>trade airspeed for altitude in an effort to capture<BR>the glide slope. We also learned that the<BR>airplane remains within its protected flight envelope.<BR>There is no danger of a stall. (You<BR>cannot stall an Airbus when it is in normal law.)<BR>The event was the result of the airplane performing<BR>exactly as designed. Pilot intervention<BR>was appropriate and necessary. This condition<BR>was not unique to the Airbus: Other airplanes<BR>have tracked false localizers or invalid glide<BR>slopes. What was significant was the expectation<BR>of the flight crew did not match the flight<BR>path of the airplane. The pilots did not expect<BR>the airplane to pitch-up, and they did not expect<BR>the airspeed to decay appreciably.<BR>After understanding what happened and why<BR>it happened, we agreed that this information<BR>should be sent to all Airbus pilots. Airbus<BR>agreed to send a notice to all operators about<BR>false glide slope interceptions. US Airways<BR>created a Flight Information Letter for all Airbus<BR>pilots. This way the information about the<BR>consequences of a false glide slope capture<BR>would be known and the appropriate pilot intervention<BR>could occur earlier.<BR>Airbus agreed to evaluate the design of the<BR>logic for glide slope capture to reduce the<BR>possibility of attempting to capture a false signal.<BR>There are improvements that have been<BR>made to the A330/340 and that logic improvement<BR>may be usable in the A320 family.<BR>While some follow-up work remains, the<BR>majority of the investigation is complete. In<BR>less than one month we learned of an event,<BR>analyzed it, met with the Company about it, met<BR>with Airbus about it, agreed on a plan to improve<BR>pilot information worldwide about it, and helped<BR>draft the flight information letter for US Airways<BR>Airbus pilots, which then was distributed<BR>promptly.<BR>Sometimes an investigation goes right. This<BR>one was the first time that we had seen a noteworthy<BR>issue occur on the Airbus since we<BR>began service in November 1999. The Company<BR>agreed with our assessment and joined us<BR>in the investigation. Airbus agreed with us and<BR>joined us. Cooperation led to a quick resolution.<BR>When it comes to safety and cooperation,<BR>diligence and hard work is in everyone’s interest.<BR>April 2000 – US AIRWAVES 11<BR>Central Air Safety<BR>In September 1989, one of our B-737-400s<BR>performed a rejected takeoff in New York. It<BR>resulted in an accident. I worked as the ALPA<BR>representative on the powerplant group. After<BR>the field phase was complete, Captain Bill<BR>Sorbie, then-Central Air Safety Committee<BR>Chairman, asked me to write an article for US<BR>AIRWAVES about the investigation. That first<BR>article began my regular contribution to US<BR>AIRWAVES. It is now over 10 years later and<BR>this is my last regular article.<BR>In early March, ALPA’s Steering and Oversight<BR>Committee selected me to the position of<BR>Vice Chairman of ALPA’s Executive Air Safety<BR>Committee. This is the number two position in<BR>the safety structure for ALPA. This demanding<BR>job deals with the safety concerns of 52 airlines<BR>across two countries. There is considerable<BR>diversity in the flight operations of these 52<BR>airlines. They include small freight operations<BR>in Canada to United Air Lines B-747s. It is<BR>impossible do justice to this new job while<BR>remaining as the AAA Chairman of the Central<BR>Air Safety Committee. For that reason, I have<BR>resigned as Chairman of your Central Air Safety<BR>Committee.<BR>The decision to take this new position was<BR>not an easy one. It has been my privilege to<BR>work with an outstanding group of professionals<BR>while I was part of ALPA’s Safety Committee<BR>at US Airways. The work was hard and the<BR>hours long, but we made a difference. Safety at<BR>our airline has improved. This advancement is<BR>due, in part, to the work of many of ALPA’s<BR>Central Air Safety Committee members. We<BR>are industry leaders in effective cooperation<BR>between the Association, the Company, and the<BR>FAA.<BR>Over the years, many other airlines have<BR>visited us to see how we operate, how we are<BR>organized, and how we take issues that are of<BR>concern to our line pilots and improve the<BR>safety of our flight operation. We led the<BR>industry with our Altitude Awareness Program.<BR>That is now expanded into the Aviation Safety<BR>Action Partnership (ASAP), which will be the<BR>standard of the airline industry soon. We led<BR>the way in Flight Operation Quality Assurance<BR>(FOQA). Again, that will be a standard soon.<BR>We are much more standardized in our flight<BR>operations than we were 10 years ago.<BR>The list of our accomplishments is far too<BR>long to enumerate here. Nevertheless, I remember<BR>them all. It has been a privilege to be<BR>a part of this. I have been glad to help our pilots<BR>when there is a problem, incident or accident.<BR>We have worked effectively with the NTSB and<BR>FAA to ensure that our pilots received fair,<BR>unbiased investigations.<BR>The Central Air Safety Committee is working<BR>as well as it ever has. The members are<BR>involved in large numbers of projects. This<BR>commitment will grow with our airline. International<BR>operations are growing and so is the<BR>safety responsibility to the crews that fly to<BR>foreign countries. This is an area of focus for<BR>this year. The effectiveness of the committee<BR>in all of these projects will continue.<BR>While my office will be in the ALPA building<BR>in Herndon, Virginia, I will continue to be<BR>available if needed. The relationship between<BR>the ALPA Executive Air Safety Committee and<BR>the US Airways Central Air Safety Committee<BR>is very close. I expect that this will continue<BR>and expand in the future.<BR>Captain Terry McVenes has been appointed<BR>as the interim Chairman of the Central Air<BR>Safety Committee. Terry’s proven leadership<BR>will serve to make the transition seamless. His<BR>dedication is well established.<BR>Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for the<BR>opportunity of representing you in safety matters<BR>for the last 14 years. I will continue to do<BR>the best I can to improve safety in the aviation<BR>industry for 51,000 airline pilots.<BR>I sincerely appreciate the comments that<BR>many of you have made about my US AIRWAVES<BR>articles. I never claimed to be a writer.<BR>After 10 years of writing articles regularly, I<BR>have learned more about communication than I<BR>ever expected to know.<BR>I look forward to seeing you on the line.<BR>Hopefully, I will get to fly a little more in this<BR>new position.<BR>A Change<BR>“ Safety at our<BR>airline has improved.<BR>This<BR>advancement is<BR>due, in part, to the<BR>work of many of<BR>ALPA’s Central<BR>Air Safety Committee<BR>members.<BR>We are industry<BR>leaders in effective<BR>cooperation<BR>between the<BR>Association, the<BR>Company, and the<BR>FAA. ”

涟漪雨 发表于 2010-11-11 10:13:38

看看!!:)
页: [1]
查看完整版本: Central Air Safety An Investigation Gone Right