航空 发表于 2010-10-20 21:47:45

What Caused Cory Lidle’s Crash?

I GOTWORDOF CORY LIDLE’S AIRPLANE CRASH WHILE SITTING<BR>on the tarmac of the Seattle-Tacoma airport. Our Delta jet,<BR>bound for New York’s JFK, had a glitch—a flaky antiskid sensor.<BR>We sat for two hours. Boring! I amused myself surfing the Web<BR>on a BlackBerry. There on the Drudge Report was the awful<BR>headline about Lidle slamming into an apartment building on<BR>Manhattan’s East 72nd Street. In a helicopter, it was reported.<BR>Well, it wasn’t a helicopter. After landing at JFK and turning<BR>on my BlackBerry again, I learned it was a Cirrus.<BR>I own a Cirrus. Mine is a 310hp SR22, nine months old. Lidle’s<BR>model was a 200hp SR20, a 2002 model. The airplanes look the<BR>same to anyone but a Cirrus owner. All Cirrus aircraft, including<BR>Lidle’s and mine, have an airframe parachute. Thus, an obvious<BR>question ran through my head: Why didn’t Lidle activate the chute?<BR>Cirrus airplanes are as safe as small planes come. This summer<BR>I flew my wife and two children from California to Wisconsin<BR>and back in our Cirrus. We crossed the Sierra Nevada range<BR>and the Rockies. My wife, who tolerates flying but is no enthusiast,<BR>said she’d never felt safer. Our SR22 ran flawlessly. We had<BR>weather displays, in real time, on a large-screen map. We tuned<BR>the XM Satellite Radio to a station playing Sixties tunes to help<BR>the time fly. The Troggs never sounded so good.<BR>Plus we had the chute. Knowing it’s there is comforting, especially<BR>as you and the people you love most are winging over the<BR>Rockies on a single engine and propeller.<BR>A failed engine is a low-probability event, but if it happened<BR>over hills and rocks one’s chances of surviving would be poor.<BR>Another great pilot fear is a midair collision, such as the one Cirrus<BR>cofounder Alan Klapmeier experienced while a student pilot<BR>in 1985. The other airplane sliced a wingtip through Klapmeier’s<BR>wing strut. Klapmeier was able to land his damaged airplane. The<BR>other pilot was killed—not by the midair collision but by spiraling<BR>into the ground after losing his wing. Klapmeier thought a<BR>mistake like that should not have to have fatal consequences.<BR>Operating out of their Wisconsin family farm, Alan and his brother<BR>Dale got into the airplane business at the low end. During the 1980s<BR>they sold build-your-own-airplane kits, a small market. But the Klapmeiers<BR>really wanted to build airplanes that were certified by the Federal<BR>Aviation Administration—real airplanes, in the minds of many.<BR>After failing to land bank loans in Wisconsin and North Dakota,<BR>the Klapmeiers found a friendlier banker in Duluth, Minn. and<BR>relocated Cirrus. There they designed a brand-new airplane, with<BR>the goal of FAA certification. This plane had three novel features:<BR>a body and wings made of fiberglass composites; a big computer<BR>screen, replacing many dials and gauges; and a parachute stored in a<BR>space behind the baggage compartment. On the ceiling was a handle<BR>the pilot could pull if necessary. The pulled handle would fire a<BR>small rocket through the airplane’s roof and release the parachute.<BR>In 1998 Cirrus won FAA certification for its radical airplane.<BR>In 2002 the SR22 passed the Cessna 172 as the world’s bestselling<BR>single-engine plane. Critics of the Cirrus say the chute is mostly a<BR>marketing ploy. If so, the ploy has clearly worked. But, in fact, the<BR>Cirrus parachute has saved 21 people, including a grandfather and<BR>his grandson over Canada’sMonashee Mountains, as well as a man<BR>who suffered a brain seizure while flying north of New York City.<BR>An Educated Guess<BR>What happened aboard Lidle’s plane? Allow me to speculate<BR>while we await the final accident report from the National Transportation<BR>Safety Board. In essence, Lidle and his CFI (certified<BR>flight instructor) flew straight up a box canyon—a virtual box<BR>defined by airspace regulations. Radar tracking shows that Lidle<BR>was flying north up the East River in an approved “visual flight<BR>rules” corridor, which is as wide as the East River and has a ceiling<BR>of 1,100 feet. The corridor comes to an abrupt end at the<BR>north end of Roosevelt Island. Beyond that, a pilot needs approval<BR>from air traffic control to enter LaGuardia Airport’s airspace.<BR>Radar tracking shows that Lidle’s airplane was flying 112mph<BR>700 feet above the river when it made a sudden 90-degree turn<BR>toward Manhattan north of 72nd Street. A turn that sharp for an<BR>airplane moving 112mph can be done only in a very steep<BR>bank—some amateur sleuths have guessed a bank of 55 degrees.<BR>That is one heck of a bank. Most pilots at Lidle’s level have never<BR>practiced banks steeper than 45 degrees.<BR>I can tell you that a 45-degree banked turn results in a sudden<BR>loss of altitude unless the pilot adds power, pulls back on the yoke<BR>or does both. A 55-degree banked turn doesn’t sound like much<BR>of an increase. It is, in aerodynamic terms. A plane banked at<BR>55 degrees feels nearly twice as heavy as a plane in level flight.<BR>A 55-degree banked turn—if that’s what it was—is a very<BR>dangerous maneuver at an altitude of 700 feet. In the snap of a<BR>finger, such an airplane could lose 200 feet. Seeing Manhattan’s<BR>tall Upper East Side apartment buildings looming in the windshield,<BR>Lidle may have pulled up too fast and stalled the airplane.<BR>In any event, he lost control—and was too low to pull the chute.<BR>The three big killers of small airplanes like Lidle’s (and mine)<BR>are bad weather (thunderstorms and icing are the most dangerous<BR>conditions), fuel mismanagement and loss of control during<BR>low-altitude turns.<BR>All the evidence in Lidle’s crash points to number three. This<BR>was a common and avoidable tragedy. Cirrus is not to blame. a<BR>Digital Rules<BR>By Rich Karlgaard, PUBLISHER<BR>NOVEMBER 13, 2006 F O R B E S 53
页: [1]
查看完整版本: What Caused Cory Lidle’s Crash?