找回密码
 注册
搜索
楼主: 帅哥
打印 上一主题 下一主题

即学即用商务英语 [复制链接]

61#
发表于 2008-10-23 14:05:08 |只看该作者
就餐 我们去什么饭店? What restaurant shall we go to? (我们去什么饭店?) Someplace quiet. (去安静一点的。) *quiet “安静的”。 What restaurant shall we eat at? Where shall we go to eat? 你能不能推荐一家好的饭店? Would you recommend a good restaurant? (你能不能推荐一家好的饭店?) The one on the corner is excellent. (拐角处的那一家很不错。) *recommend “推荐”。 *excellent “很好的”。 Would you recommend a good place to eat? What restaurant would you recommend? 我知道一家不错的法国餐馆。 Do you have any suggestions for where to eat? (去哪里吃饭, 你有什么建议吗?) I know a good French restaurant. (我知道一家不错的法国餐馆。) I know a French restaurant that serves good food. *serve “提供(饭菜等)”、 “供应”。 Let’s go to this good French restaurant I know of. (我们去我知道的这家味道不错的法国餐馆吧。) 你得预订。 Let’s go to that new restaurant. (我们去那家新开的饭店吧。) You need a reservation. (你得预订。) *reservation “预订”。 You’ll have to make a reservation. We can’t get in without a reservation. (没预订我们进不去。) *get in “进入”。without “没有”。 我最好提前预订。 I hear that restaurant fills up quickly. (我听说那家饭店总是很快客满。) I’d better make a reservation. (我最好提前预订。) We should reserve a table right away. (我们得马上预订。) *reserve “预订”。right away “马上”。 I’d better get us on the reservation list. 今天喝什么汤? What’s today’s soup? (今天喝什么汤?) Clam chowder. (蛤蜊杂烩浓汤。) What’s the soup today? What soup do you have today? 他们做的饭菜很好吃。 How’s this restaurant? (这家饭店怎么样?) They serve excellent food. (他们做的饭菜很好吃。) *这里的serve指“提供(食物、饮料等)”。 Their food is excellent. (这里的饭菜很好吃。) The food they serve is delicious. 差不多。 Which tastes better? (哪一家味道好一点?) They’re alike. (差不多。) *alike “一样的”、 “类似的”。 They’re quite similar. *quite “相当”、 “很”。similar “相似的”。 They’re a lot alike. They’re almost the same. (他们几乎一样。) *almost “几乎”、 “大致上”。 我想我还能再吃点。 Are you full? (你饱了吗?) I think I can eat more. (我想我还能再吃点。) *I think ... “我想……”。more “更多”。 I can probably have more. I still have room for more food. *have room for ... “有做……的余地(可能性)”。 我还可以再吃一些甜点。 Did you have enough to eat? (你吃饱了吗?) I still have room for dessert. (我还可以再吃一些甜点。) *这里的room指“空间”、 “余地”。 I could still handle dessert. I’ve got plenty of room for dessert. (我还可以吃好多甜点。) *plenty of ... “大量的”。

使用道具 举报

62#
发表于 2008-10-23 14:05:36 |只看该作者
酒会 ●喝酒助兴 让我们把规矩放到一边。 Let’s do away with the formalities. (让我们把规矩放到一边。) My thoughts exactly. (我也这么想。) *do away with “废除(规矩等)”、 “铲除(陋习等)”。formality “拘泥形式”、 “拘谨”。 *thought “想法”、 “意见”。exactly “正确地”、 “确实如此”、 “一点没错”。直译是“我的想法正是这样”。 Let’s forget about formalities. We can do away with the formalities. 我们先喝杯啤酒吧。 What would you like to order? (你想点什么?) Let’s begin with beer. (我们先喝杯啤酒吧。) Let’s have a beer first. Let’s start with a beer. 干一杯! Let’s have a toast! (干一杯!) Okay, raise your glass. (好, 举起杯!) *toast有“烤面包”的意思, 这里指“祝酒”、 “干杯”的意思。但是并不能像“Cheers!”那样说“Toast!”。 I’d like to propose a toast. (我想干一杯。) What are we celebrating? (庆祝什么?) *would like to ... “想做……”。propose “建议”。 Let’s toast each other. Here’s to you. I want to propose a toast. I’d like to make a toast. 我要为我们的友谊干杯。 I’d like to toast our friendship. (我要为我们的友谊干杯。) I’ll drink to that. (干杯。) *toast “干杯”。friendship “友情”。 Let’s drink a toast to our friendship. I’d like to make a toast to our friendship. 为你的成功干杯! I usually don’t drink, but tonight is special. (我一般不喝酒, 但是今天晚上特殊。) Here’s to your success! (为你的成功干杯!) *success “成功”。 Here’s to your health! (为你的健康干杯!) To your health! (祝你健康!) Here’s to your future! (为你的未来干杯!) To our happiness! (为我们的幸福干杯!) 干杯! Cheers! (干杯!) Cheers! (干杯!) *干杯的习惯用语。在英国也有“Thank you.(谢谢)”的意思。 Drink up. (喝吧。) Cheers! (干杯!) Bottoms up! Here’s to you! Here’s mud in your eye! *习惯用语。 诸位, 啤酒我请客。 Beer is on me, everyone. (诸位, 啤酒我请客。) Alright! (太好了!) *请别人的时候可以这么说。on也有“(饭钱等)由……结账”、 “由……负担”的意思。 I’ll buy everyone a beer. I’ll treat you all to a beer. *treat “招待”。 This round is on me. *这句话只能用在饭店、 酒吧等席间。 我可以坐在你旁边吗? May I sit next to you? (我可以坐在你旁边吗?) Be my guest. (请。) *May I ...? “我可以……吗?”, 征求同意的说法。 *“Be my guest.”是在对方征求同意时回答“请别客气”的习惯用语。 May I sit here? Can I sit beside you? *beside “在……的旁边”。 再喝一杯好吗? How about one more drink? (再喝一杯好吗?) No thanks, I’ve had enough. (不, 谢谢。我已经喝了很多了。) *more “再多一点”。drink “饮料”、 “酒类”。 May I refill your glass? (再给您添一杯好吗?) *refill “再添满”。 May I offer you another drink? *offer “提供”。 喝酒总是能让我放松一下。 Drinking always helps me to unwind. (喝酒总是能让我放松一下。) Just don’t go overboard. (但不要喝过量。) *unwind “(紧张之后或工作之后)放松”、 “休息”。 *go overboard “过度”、 “热中于”。 Having a drink relaxes me. (喝上一杯能使我心情放松。) A cocktail helps me unwind. (鸡尾酒能帮助我解除压力。) *cocktail “鸡尾酒”。 你最拿手的是哪首歌? I love going to karaoke bars. (我喜欢去唱卡拉OK。) Which song is your specialty? (你最拿手的是哪首歌?) *specialty “得意”、 “专长”。 Which song is your favorite? *favorite “极喜欢的”。 Which song do you enjoy performing? 你唱歌很好。 You sing very well. (你唱歌很好。) Thank you. I practice singing a lot. (谢谢。我经常练习唱歌。) *这里的well指“很好”、 “很棒”。 *a lot “很多”。 You can really sing. (你唱歌真拿手。) You have a great voice. (你有一副好嗓子。) You are a good singer. 我五音不全。 Mr. Yamaguchi, do you like to sing? (山口先生, 你喜欢唱歌吗?) No, I’m tone-deaf. (不喜欢, 我五音不全。) *tone-deaf “五音不全的”。 How well do you sing? (你唱歌怎么样?) I’m a terrible singer. (我唱得很差。) *terrible是口语, “极差的”、 “不愉快的”。 I sing out of tune. *tune “曲”、 “正确的调子”。out of tune “跑调”。 I can’t carry a tune. (我一个调也唱不准。) *习惯用语。 I don’t sing very well. 我最好自告奋勇第一个唱。 I’d better volunteer and sing the first song. (我最好自告奋勇第一个唱。) I’ll go second then. (那么, 我第二个唱。) *had better ... “最好……”。volunteer “自告奋勇做……”。 I’d better go ahead and volunteer to sing first. I should get things started and sing the first song. I should get the ball rolling and sing the first song. *get the ball rolling “开始(活动或对话等)”。 我的脚麻了。 My feet went to sleep on me. (我的脚麻了。) That’s an uncomfortable feeling. (那种感觉可不舒服了。) *go to sleep表示“脚麻了”。在坐位上坐久了脚麻了可以这么说。 My feet are asleep. My feet fell asleep. 我站不起来了, 我的腿麻了。 It’s time to go. (该回去了。) I can’t stand up because my legs have gone to sleep. (我站不起来了, 我的腿麻了。) *stand up “站起来”。go to sleep是“睡觉”、 “入眠”的意思, 但是my legs have gone to sleep是说“我的腿麻了”。外国人在塌塌米上坐过之后常常会这么说。 My legs have fallen asleep, so I can’t get up. *fall asleep “入眠”。不过, 这里my legs作主语, 说的是“腿麻了”的意思。get up “站起来”。 I can’t stand because my legs are numb. *numb “麻的”、 “失去知觉的”。 我喜欢去泡酒吧。 What do you do after work? (下班后你做什么?) I like to go barhopping. (我喜欢去泡酒吧。) *因为hop是“短跳”、 “跳跃”的意思, 所以go barhopping就是指“一家接着一家地泡酒吧”。 I like to hit the bars. I like to barhop. 末班车是几点? What time is the last train? (末班车是几点?) Midnight. (夜里12点。) When does the last train leave? *这里的leave指“出发”。 What’s the time of the last train? 我玩得很高兴。 Did you enjoy yourself? (你玩得高兴吗?) I had a very good time. (我玩得很高兴。) *have a very good time “过得很愉快”、 “觉得很高兴”。 I had lots of fun. (我非常高兴。) *fun “快乐”。 I really enjoyed tonight. (今天晚上我真的过得很愉快。) 你有火吗? Do you have a light? (你有火吗?) Sorry, I don’t smoke. (对不起, 我不抽烟。) *向别人借火点烟时有代表性的说法。light 指“(火柴、打火机、香烟等)点火物”。 Could I bother you for a light? (麻烦你给我个火好吗?) *bother “麻烦”、 “打扰”。 Would you give me a light? ●喝酒 你能喝吗? I just want one more cocktail. (我还想要一杯鸡尾酒。) Can you handle your drinks? You look drunk. (你能喝吗?你看起来好像醉了。) *handle “管理”、 “处理”。drunk是drink的过去分词, 是“酒醉”的意思。“Can you handle your drinks?”表示“你能喝吗?”。 Can you handle drinking alcohol? Are you able to drink a lot? *直译是“酒你能喝很多吗?”。 Can you drink a lot? *直译是“酒你能喝很多吗?”。 Can you hold your own? *hold one’s own “坚持住”。直译是“你还能支持住吗?”。 Can you hold your liquor? (你的酒量还过得去吗?) *hold “坚持”。liquor “酒类”、 “含酒精饮料”。 Are you a heavy drinker? (你酒喝得多吗?) *这里的heavy是“大量消费”的意思, 酒喝得多未必就是酒量大。 为了应酬我会去喝一点。 Do you ever go to bars after work? (你下班后会去酒吧吗?) Yes. I’m a social drinker. (会。为了应酬我会去喝一点。) *after work “下班后”。 *social “社交上的”、 “社交的”。drinker “饮酒者”。 I go out for drinks with friends. (我和朋友出去喝酒。) *go out “外出”、 “出去”。 I drink with friends. (我和朋友一起喝。) *这里的drink指“喝酒”。 我想我有点醉了。 Your face is all red. (你的脸全都红了。) I think I’m a little bit drunk. (我想我有点醉了。) *a little bit “有点”、 “稍微”。 I feel slightly drunk. *slightly “轻微”、 “稍许”。 I’m starting to feel a bit tipsy. (我开始觉得有点醉了。) *tipsy “微醉的”。 他假装醉了。 Is he really drunk? (他真的醉了吗?) No, he’s pretending to be drunk. (不是, 他假装醉了。) *pretend to ... “假装……”、 “装作……”。 He’s faking it. *fake “假装”。 He’s feigning drunkenness. *feign “假装”、 “装作”。drunkenness “醉”。 你喝得太快了。 What’s the problem? (怎么啦?) You’re drinking too fast. (你喝得太快了。) *too fast “太快”。 You should drink slower. (你应该喝慢点。) Drink more slowly. (喝得再慢点。) 酒混在一起喝不好。 It’s not good to mix drinks. (酒混在一起喝不好。) Oh, I didn’t know that. (哦, 我不知道。) *mix “混合”。 Mixing drinks isn’t a good idea. You shouldn’t mix your drinks. 你喝得这么醉可真少见。 It is unusual for you to get this drunk. (你喝得这么醉可真少见。) I had a really bad day. (我今天真的是太倒霉了。) *unusual “不常有的”、 “奇怪的”、 “少有的”。 drunk “醉的”、 “酩酊大醉的”。this放在前面意思就成了“这么醉”。 It’s rare for you to get this drunk. It’s not like you to get this drunk. *It’s not like you to ... “……可不像是你”。 You don’t usually get this drunk. *usually “总是”、 “通常”。 他非常绝望, 不停地喝酒。 He’s so desperate, he keeps drinking. (他非常绝望, 不停地喝酒。) We have to do something to help him. (我们得做点什么来帮帮他。) *desperate “绝望的”、 “不顾一切的”。keep ...ing “持续做……”。 He is so desperate that he can’t stop drinking. *can’t stop ...ing “止不住地做……”。 He keeps drinking because he is so desperate. 如果你喝酒, 就不要开车。如果你开车, 就不要喝酒。 I’m entertaining clients this evening. (今天晚上我要招待客户。) If you drink, don’t drive. If you drive, don’t drink. (如果你喝酒, 就不要开车。如果你开车, 就不要喝酒。) *entertain “招待”。 *美国的电视和报纸就是这么做宣传的。 Don’t drink and drive. (别酒后开车。) Drinking and driving is dangerous. (酒后开车很危险。) *dangerous “危险的”。 他是个酒鬼。 He’s a heavy drinker. (他是个酒鬼。) I was afraid of that. (我担心过这点。) *这里的heavy指“大量的”。 He drinks way too much. (他喝酒没有节制。) He’s a drunk. *这里的drunk指“酒鬼”、 “酒棍”, 是轻蔑的叫法。如果前面没有a, 意思是“醉了”。 他酒量不行。 He’s slurring his words. (他话都说不清了。) He can’t hold his liquor. (他酒量不行。) *slur “发音含混不清”。 *hold “支持”、 “维持”。liquor “酒精饮料”。 He gets drunk easily. (他很容易喝醉。) He can’t drink. (他不会喝酒。) 昨天晚上我们泡酒吧去了。 We went barhopping last night. (昨天晚上我们泡酒吧去了。) Hope you didn’t drink too much. (但愿你没喝太多。) *barhop “连着到好几家酒吧喝酒”。 We went from bar to bar last night. Last night we hit every bar in town. (昨天晚上我们喝遍了镇上所有的酒吧。) 昨天我把葡萄酒和啤酒混在一起喝。 I mixed drinking wine and beer yesterday. (昨天我把葡萄酒和啤酒混在一起喝。) Do you have a hangover? (今天酒醒了没有?) *mix “混合”。 *hangover “宿醉(指头痛、恶心等不良反应)”。 I drank wine and beer yesterday. I had both wine and beer yesterday. 昨天晚上我喝醉了。 I got drunk last night. (昨天晚上我喝醉了。) I hope you feel okay today. (希望你今天没事。) *get drunk “酒醉”。last night “昨天晚上”。 I drank too much last night. I had too much to drink last night. (昨天晚上我喝得太多了。) 昨晚你太失控了。 I have a bad hangover. (我昨晚喝酒喝得现在很难受。) You were way out of control last night. (昨晚你太失控了。) *way表示强调。out of control 指“失去控制”。 You were way out of line last night. You were embarrassing last night. (昨天晚上你出丑了。) You lost control last night. 昨晚我酒喝得太多了, 今天还觉得晕头晕脑的。 You look pretty tired. (你看起来很疲倦。) I drank too much last night and just don’t feel like myself today. (昨晚我酒喝得太多了, 今天还觉得晕头晕脑的。) *look ... “外观看起来……”。pretty “相当”。 *don’t feel like myself “状态不佳”。 I had too much to drink last night and just don’t feel like myself today. I drank too much booze last night, and I’m not myself today. *booze “酒”、 “(尤指)烈酒”。 今天早上我酒还没醒。 I’m afraid I have a hangover this morning. (今天早上我酒还没醒。) That’s what you get for drinking so much. (都是因为你酒喝得太多。) *I’m afraid用于说不好的事情时。hangover 指“宿醉”。 Unfortunately, I have a hangover this morning. *unfortunately “不幸地”。 Feels like I have a hangover this morning. *feel like ... “好像……”、 “觉得……”。 昨晚的酒现在还让我很难受。 I’m suffering from a hangover. (昨晚的酒现在还让我很难受。) Stop drinking so much! (你别喝那么多酒!) *suffer from ... “受……的苦”、 “为……而苦恼”。 I’m sick from drinking too much last night. (昨晚酒喝得太多难受得我直想吐。) I have a bad hangover. (昨晚的酒让我现在还很难受。) I feel lousy from drinking too much. (酒喝得太多我感觉很不好。) I drank way too much last night. (我昨天晚上喝了太多的酒。)

使用道具 举报

63#
发表于 2008-10-23 14:06:13 |只看该作者
结账 请给我账单。 Can I get you anything else? (你还要点别的什么吗?) Just the bill, please. (请给我账单。) *get “拿来”。else “其他的”。 *just “只要”、 “就要”。可以用在饭店以外的很多场合。bill 指“账单”、 “付款通知单”。 May I have the bill, please? I just want the bill, please. Would you bring me my bill, please? *bring “拿来”。 Just my check, please. *check “账单”。 Can I have the check, please? Could I have the bill? Could you bring the bill? Could you send the bill over? (你能把账单给寄过去吗?) *用于邮寄东西时。send 指“邮寄”、 “发送”。 这个就交给我来吧。 I’ll take care of this. (这个就交给我来吧。) I appreciate it. (谢谢。) *招待客人时, 自己提出付账的说法, “账就由我来结吧”、 “请让我来付账”。 *appreciate “感谢”。 I’ll get it. Let me get this. I want to take care of this. This one is on me. 给我收据好吗? Can I have a receipt? (给我收据好吗?) Coming right up. (马上就拿来。) *receipt “收据”。 Can I get a receipt? I’d like a receipt, please. 我可以按招待费把这个注销吗? Can I write this off as an entertainment expense? (我可以按招待费把这个注销吗?) You’d better check with your accountant. (你最好问一下会计。) *write off “注销”。as “作为”。entertainment “接待”、 “招待”。expense “费用”、 “经费”。 *You’d是You had的缩写。accountant “会计”。 Is this tax-deductible as entertainment? *tax-deductible “课税减免的”。 Can we deduct this as an expense for entertainment? *deduct “减去”、 “扣除”。 我们可以分开付账吗? Could we have separate checks? (我们可以分开付账吗?) Certainly. That’s not a problem. (当然。没问题。) *separate “分开的”、 “分离的”。check “账单”。 May we have separate checks? We’d like to have separate checks. (我们想分开结账。) Could we pay separately? (我们可以分开付账吗?) 你有零钱吗? Do you have any small change? (你有零钱吗?) Yes, do you need some? (有, 你要吗?) *change是coin的总称, 表示“零钱”。非常流行的说法。 Do you have any change? Have you got some small change? 请给我看看费用清单。 Please show me the price list. (请给我看看费用清单。) Here you go. (给你。) *price list “费用清单”。 I would like to look at the price list please. *look at ... “看……”。 I want to see the price list please. 它没我想的那么便宜。 I thought you said that place was cheap. (我记得你说过那个地方很便宜。) It was not as cheap as I thought. (它没我想的那么便宜。) *cheap “便宜的”。 *not as ... as ... “并不是和……那样……”。 I thought it was cheaper. (我以为会更便宜。) It was more expensive than I thought. *expensive “昂贵的”。 It was not as cheap as I expected. 公司报销。 Who’s going to pay for this dinner? (这顿晚饭的钱谁来付?) It’s a company expense. (公司报销。) *这里的company指“公司”。expense 指“经费”。 Shall we split the bill? (账单我们分摊吗?) No. I can charge it to my company. (不用。我可以到公司报销。) *split “分开”、 “分摊”。bill “付款通知单”、 “账单”。 *charge “使负担(费用)”、 “索取”。 It’s on the company. *It’s on ... “……请客”。 The company will pay for it. I’ll put it on my expense account. (我会按交际费报销。) *expense account “费用账户”、 “交际费”。put ... on ... “把……加在……上”。 I’ll have my company pay for it. *这里的have指“让……”, 使役动词。 费用自理。 How will the money part work? (钱怎么算?) You pay your own expenses. (费用自理。) *part “部分”。 *expenses “费用”、 “开支”。 You pay your own way. You’re responsible for your own expenses. *be responsible for ... “对……负责”。 我用自己的钱付的。 I paid out of my own pocket. (我用自己的钱付的。) We’ll reimburse you. (我们会偿还你的。) *pay out of my own pocket “用自己的钱支付”。 *reimburse “偿还”、 “付还”。 Who paid for that staff luncheon? (谁付的职工午餐费?) I paid for it out of my own pocket. (我用自己的钱付的。) *pay for ... “支付……”。staff “职员”、 “职工”、 “员工”。luncheon “午餐”。 I paid for it myself. (我自己付的。) I covered the expense myself. *cover “支付(费用等)”。 I was the one who paid for it. (钱是我付的。)

使用道具 举报

64#
发表于 2008-10-23 14:06:40 |只看该作者
交际中的话题 ●关于工作的话题 你干的是哪一行的工作? What line of business are you in? (你干的是哪一行的工作?) I’m in sales. How about you? (我搞销售。你呢?) *line有“行当”的意思。 *复数sales指“营销”、 “销售部门”。 What type of work do you do? What type of business are you in? 你在哪家公司上班? Who do you work for? (你在哪家公司上班?) I work for General Motors. (我在通用汽车公司上班。) *打听工作单位时常用的说法。work for ... “为……工作”。 What company do you work for? Who is your employer? 那是一家很有名气的公司。 The name is familiar. (名字很熟悉。) It’s a rather famous company. (那是一家很有名气的公司。) *rather单独使用时是“多少”、 “几分”、 “相当”的意思。 It’s quite a famous company. (那是一家著名的公司。) It’s a rather well-known company. 他下班后总是光顾这家酒吧。 Is he a good customer? (他是老主顾吗?) Yes. He always stops by this bar after work. (是。他下班后总是光顾这家酒吧。) *customer “客人”、 “主顾”。 *stop by “顺便到”。 He always drops in this bar after he finishes work. After work he always comes by this bar. *come by “顺便到”。 你们公司近况如何? How are things at your office? (你们公司近况如何?) We’re busy with the new project. (我们正忙于新项目。) Are things okay at the office? How’s it going at the office? 我歇口气的功夫都没有。 How busy are you? (你有多忙?) I don’t have time to breathe. (我歇口气的功夫都没有。) *breathe除了“呼吸”的意思外, 还有“休息”的意思。 I don’t have time to catch my breath. (我歇口气都没有时间。) *catch my breath “歇口气”。 I’m way too busy. 要是不工作我就没法养活自己。 You should quit working. (你应该把工作辞了。) I can’t support myself if I don’t work. (要是不工作我就没法养活自己。) *support “支撑”。 How will I support myself if I don’t work? (要是不工作我怎么能养活自己?) I need to work to support myself. (我得靠工作来维持生计。) 真羡慕你。 I’m on vacation next week. (下周我休假。) I envy you. (真羡慕你。) *on vacation “休假”。 *envy “羡慕”、 “忌妒”。 I’m jealous. *jealous “忌妒的”。 I wish I were you. (但愿我是你。) 现在最有活力的商业领域是什么? What’s the most exciting business now? (现在最有活力的商业领域是什么?) I think the internet business is booming. (我想网络商务发展很迅速。) *这里的exciting指“令人兴奋的”。 *boom “迅速发展”、 “兴旺”。 What’s the business of the moment? *of the moment “现在的”、 “当前重要的”。 What kind of business is hot now? *这里的hot指“最新的”、 “热门的”。 对你的工作你最喜欢什么? What do you like most about your work? (对你的工作你最喜欢什么?) I get paid a lot. (高薪。) *most是“最”的意思。 What is most appealing about your work? *这里的appealing指“有魅力的”。 What is the best thing about your work? *best “最好的”。 但愿你说得对。 I heard we’re getting a raise. (我听说我们要涨工资了。) I hope you’re right. (但愿你说得对。) *get a raise “加薪”。 I hope so. I hope you’re on the money. *on the money “真的”、 “的确”。 你的梦想是什么? What’s your dream? (你的梦想是什么?) To become a manager within five years. (5年之内当个经理。) *What’s是What is的缩写。 *within “……之内”。 What do you hope for? What do you dream about? 当老板猜到我在想什么时我慌了手脚。 I panicked when my boss guessed what I was thinking. (当老板猜到我在想什么时我慌了手脚。) I bet you did. (可以想像。) *panic “惊慌失措的”。guess “猜测”。 *I bet 意思是“一定……”, 这句话直译是“你一定是那么做的”。 I was alarmed when my boss read my mind. *alarm “使惊慌”、 “使担心”。 It frightened me when my boss guessed what I was thinking. *frighten “使害怕”。 老板因为我在上班时间喝酒批评了我。 My boss scolded me for drinking on the job. (老板因为我在上班时间喝酒批评了我。) You’re lucky. I would’ve fired you. (你真幸运。换了我的话会开除你的。) *scold ... for ... “因为……而批评……”。 I got in trouble for drinking on the job. (我因为工作时间喝酒惹了麻烦。) I was yelled at by the boss for drinking on duty. *yell at ... “冲着……大声喊叫(发火)”。on duty “值班期间”。 出于好奇心。 Why did you work abroad? (你为什么在海外工作?) I did it out of curiosity. (出于好奇心。) *abroad “在国外”、 “在海外”。 *out of ... “出于……”。curiosity “好奇心”。 Curiosity made me do it. I did it because I was curious. (因为好奇所以我这么做。) *be curious “好奇”。 I was curious, so I did it. 留给你去猜吧。 How much do you make a year? (你一年挣多少钱?) I’ll leave that up to your imagination. (留给你去猜吧。) *这里的make指“挣(钱等)”、 “获得”。 *leave “留给”。imagination “想像”。 I’ll let you imagine it. I’ll let you create your own image. *create “创造”。 That’s for you to figure out. *figure out “想出来”。 I’ll let you wonder about that. *wonder “想知道”、 “猜想”。 ●关于爱好的话题 你从事什么运动吗? Do you play any sports? (你从事什么运动吗?) Yes. I play golf every weekend. (是。每个周末我都打高尔夫球。) Do you play a specific sport? *specific “特定的”。 Do you like playing sports? (你喜欢运动吗?) 你喜欢棒球吗? Do you like baseball? (你喜欢棒球吗?) It’s not my favorite sport. (那不是我最喜欢的运动。) How do you feel about baseball? *直译是“你觉得棒球怎么样”。 Do you enjoy the game of baseball? 我听说你高尔夫球打得很好。 I hear that you’re a great golfer. (我听说你高尔夫球打得很好。) I’ll take it easy on you. (我会对你手下留情的。) *I hear that ... “我听说……”。great “出色的”、 “杰出的”。golfer “高尔夫球手”。 *take it easy “放松”、 “轻松地做”。 I hear that you’re quite a golfer. *quite a ... “不一般的”、 “很(出色的)”。 Rumor has it you’re good at golf. *rumor “传言”。be good at ... “擅长……”、 “……很好”。 他对打高尔夫球很热衷。 He’s crazy about golf. (他对打高尔夫球很热衷。) He’s a great player, too. (他打得也的确不错。) *crazy about 是口语, “沉迷于……”、 “热衷于……”。 He’s hooked on golf. He loves golf. He’s a golf-maniac. He’s a golfaholic. (他是高尔夫球迷。) 他的高尔夫球打得很好。 He plays at par. (他的高尔夫球打得很好。) I’m impressed. (真了不起。) * 每个洞都打标准杆数, 意思也就是说高尔夫球打得很好。 * impress “给(人)深刻印象”。 He’s a scratch player. *a scratch player “不让分也不加分的运动员”。 He shoots par. 你喜欢什么样的音乐? What kind of music do you like? (你喜欢什么样的音乐?) Jazz is my favorite. (我喜欢爵士乐。) *What kind of ...? “什么样的……”。 What is your favorite type of music? What is your preference as far as music goes? (音乐方面你喜欢什么?) *as far as ... go “就……而言”。 我一首歌都不会。 Now you sing. (现在你唱。) I can’t. I don’t even know a song. (我不会唱。我一首歌都不会。) *even “连……”。 I don’t know any songs. I’m not a musical person. (我不喜欢音乐。) *musical “爱好音乐的”。 已经过时了。 I like his suit. (我喜欢他的西服。) I don’t. It’s out of style. (我不喜欢。已经过时了。) *out of style “不时兴的”、 “过时的”。 It’s unfashionable. *unfashionable “不时兴的”。 It’s outdated. *outdated “过时的”、 “老式的”。 It’s behind the times. *behind the times “过时的”。 它让我们回到过去。 I like looking at our scrapbook. (我喜欢看我们的剪贴簿。) Yes, it brings back memories. (是啊, 它让我们回到过去。) *bring back “使回忆”。memory “记忆”、 “回忆”。 Ah, memories. Yeah, it helps me remember the good old days. (它让我回忆起以前的好日子。) *这里的help指“帮助”。 时下就流行这个。 That’s the thing now. (时下就流行这个。) I can’t keep up with all the new fads. (我跟不上潮流。) *the thing “现在流行的东西”。 *fad “时尚”、 “(流行一时的)狂热”。 It’s the thing to do. (这东西可时髦了。) It’s the latest fad. *the latest “最新的”。 That’s what’s popular now. 明年又会流行什么呢? What will be in next year? (明年又会流行什么呢?) Maybe the mini skirt will be back. (也许迷你裙会再度流行。) *in作为形容词, 有“流行的”、 “时尚的”等意思。 What will be fashionable next year? *fashionable “流行的”。 What will be trendy next year? *trendy “时尚的 ”。 What will be stylish next year? *stylish “流行的”。 这个周末你要做什么? What are you doing this weekend? (这个周末你要做什么?) I’m going to the movies. (我去看电影。) *this weekend “本周末”。 What are you going to do this weekend? Any plans for the weekend? (周末有什么计划?) 我就待在家里休息。 I’m just going to relax at home. (我就待在家里休息。) Sounds like a good idea. (听起来主意不错。) *relax “放松”、 “休息”。 I’m staying home to relax. I’ll be relaxing at home. 你喜欢洗温泉吗? Do you like hot springs? (你喜欢洗温泉吗?) They feel wonderful. (感觉好极了。) *hot springs “温泉”。springs是“泉”、 “源泉”的意思。 *wonderful “好极的”。 Are you fond of hot springs? *be fond of ... “喜欢……”。 Do you enjoy hot springs? 我刚开始在一个英语学校上课。 I’ve just begun to attend an English school. (我刚开始在一个英语学校上课。) Where is it? (在哪儿?) *have just+动词的过去分词是现在完成时态, 表示“刚刚做完……”。begun是begin的过去分词。attend 指“出席”、 “参加”。 I just started going to an English school. I just began attending an English school. 我在大减价的时候买的。 Was the dress expensive? (这条裙子贵吗?) No, I bought it on sale. (不贵, 我在大减价的时候买的。) *on sale “大减价的时候”。 It was on sale. I purchased it on sale. *purchase “买”、 “采购”。 如果我有钱, 我也会投资的。 I just made a fantastic investment. (我刚做了一笔不错的投资。) If I had money, I’d invest also. (如果我有钱, 我也会投资的。) *invest “投资”。 I would invest, if I had money. I need money so I can invest. (我需要钱来投资。) 有钱就行了。 We need to have an office in Los Angeles. (我们需要在洛杉矶设一个办事处。) All it takes is money.   (有钱就行了。) *直译是“需要的只是钱”。 All we need is money. Money is the end-all.  (钱是最终目标。) 我订阅了两份报纸。 I subscribe to two newspapers. (我订阅了两份报纸。) You must be an avid reader. (你一定是一个热心的读者。) *subscribe to ... “订阅……”。 *an avid reader “热心的读者”。 I have a subscription to two newspapers. I get two newspapers delivered each day. (我每天让人送两份报纸。) 我愿意和你分享。 I’d like to share this with you. (我愿意和你分享。) You’re much too kind.   (你太好了。) I really want to share this with you. This is something I want to share with you. 我正在参加竞选。 I’m running in the election. (我正在参加竞选。) For what office?   (竞选哪个公职?) *run有“竞选”的意思。election 指“推举”、 “选举”。 *这里的office指“地位”、 “公职”、 “政权”。 I’m running for office. (我正在竞选公职。) I’m a candidate in the election. *candidate “候选人”。 ●关于家庭、家庭成员的话题 我可以问你一些私人的问题吗? May I ask you something private? (我可以问你一些私人的问题吗?) Go ahead. (问吧。) *may “可以”。ask “问”。private “私人的”。 *Go ahead. “请”。 Do you mind if I ask you something personal? *Do you mind if ...? “我可以……吗?”。personal “个人的”。 May I ask you a personal question? 你家里有几口人? How many people are in your family? (你家里有几口人?) There are four of us. (4口人。) How many people do you have in your family? How many people are there in your family? How big is your family? 结婚前你姓什么? Do you need any more information from me? (你还需要了解我些什么吗?) What’s your maiden name? (结婚前你姓什么?) *maiden name “结婚前的姓”。对于已婚的妇女常会用到这个说法。 What’s your father’s last name? *father’s last name “父亲的姓”。 What was your name before you were married? 我老家在长野。 Where are you from? (你老家在哪里?) My hometown is Nagano. (我老家在长野。) *hometown “家乡”。 I’m from Nagano. I was born in Nagano. 我父亲经营一个大店铺。 What does your father do? (你父亲做什么?) My father runs a big shop. (我父亲经营一个大店铺。) *run “经营”。 My father is in charge of a large shop. *in charge of ... “管理……”。 My dad operates a big shop. *operate “经营”。 报答父母的养育之恩嘛。 So, you’re taking your mom and dad on a trip? (所以, 你要带你父母去旅行?) Yes. My parents deserve it. (是啊。报答父母的养育之恩嘛。) *deserve “值得”、 “足以接受相应的回报”。 I owe my parents a lot. (我欠父母太多。) *owe “欠”、 “应感激”。 It’s the least I can do for them. (这是我能给他们做的最起码的事。) *礼貌的回答。 哪儿都不如家好。 There’s no place like home. (哪儿都不如家好。) You can say that again. (你说得没错。) *谚语。直译是“像家那样的地方别处没有”。 *You can say that again. 表示同意对方的看法, “一点没错”。 No place compares to home. (没有什么地方能够比得上家。) *compare to ... “和……比较”。 Home is the best place to be. It feels good to be home. (还是家里好。) 我妻子挣钱比我多。 My wife makes more money than I do. (我妻子挣钱比我多。) Is that a problem for you? (那有问题吗?) *make money “挣钱”。 My wife’s salary is larger than mine. (我妻子的薪水比我高。) My wife is the main breadwinner. (我妻子是主要的经济支柱。) *breadwinner “养家活口的人”、 “经济支柱”。 我和妻子吵架了。 I had an argument with my wife. (我和妻子吵架了。) I hope you work things out soon. (希望你们能很快言归于好。) *argument “争吵”。 *work out “解决”。 My wife and I had a fight. (我和妻子吵架了。) *fight “争吵”。 I had a quarrel with my wife. *quarrel “吵架”、 “(和人的)争吵”。 我们现在分居了。 I thought you two were an item. (我还以为你们俩关系很好呢。) We’re separated now. (我们现在分居了。) *item “处于亲密关系的两个人”。 *separated “(夫妻)分居的”。 We’re not together anymore. We no longer live together. (我们已经不住在一起了。) *no longer “不再……”。 我已经把债务都还清了。 I heard you have great credit. (我听说你信用很好。) I do. I’ve paid off my debt. (是。我已经把债务都还清了。) *这里的pay off指“还清债务”。debt 指“借款”、 “债务”。 I’m clear of debt. (我没有欠债。) *be clear of ... “没有(借款等)”。 I paid off my loan. (我还清了贷款。) ●关于人际关系的话题 他们人都很好。 They are all friendly people. (他们人都很好。) That’s important for an office. (这对一个办公室来说很重要。) *friendly “友好的”、 “友善的”。 The people are all friendly. Everyone’s friendly. 这些人都已经成名了。 These people have made a name for themselves. (这些人都已经成名了。) I thought I’d heard of them. (我想我听说过他们。) *name是“名字”的意思, 但是在这里表示“名声”、 “名誉”。make a name for oneself指“成名”, 带有“凭自己的能力”的含义。 These people have a reputation of their own. (这些人凭自己的能力出了名。) They’re famous in their own right. *in their own right “凭自己的能力”。直译是“他们凭自己的能力成了名”。 那个人是日本人吗? Is that person Japanese? (那个人是日本人吗?) I can’t tell. (我说不准。) *Is that person ...? “那个人是……吗?”。 *tell “分清”、 “识别”。 Is that a Japanese person? Do you know if that person is Japanese? Do you think that person is Japanese? 我可以很容易地认出美国游客。 I can spot American tourists easily. (我可以很容易地认出美国游客。) What gives them away? (怎么认出来的?) *这里的spot指“马上分清”。tourist 指“游客”。easily 指“容易地”。 *give away “暴露”。 I can spot American tourists immediately. *immediately “立刻”。 I can tell American tourists easily. *这里的tell指“分清”。 我和老板不是亲戚。 I’m not related to my boss. (我和老板不是亲戚。) I thought he was your uncle. (我还以为他是你叔叔。) *be related to ... “和……是亲戚”。 *uncle “叔叔”。 My boss and I are not related. I am not a relative of the boss. *relative “亲戚”。 你对他的名字没有印象吗? You said “Johnson.” Who’s that? (你提到的“约翰逊”是谁?) He worked here two years ago. Doesn’t his name ring a bell? (他两年前在这里工作。你对他的名字没有印象吗?) *ring a bell “引起模糊回忆”。 Doesn’t his name bring anything to mind? Doesn’t his name stir any memories? *stir “唤醒”、 “唤起”。 他的名字我听说过, 但是我想不起来是谁。 Do you know who I’m talking about? (你知道我说的是谁吗?) His name’s familiar, but I can’t place him. (他的名字我听说过, 但是我想不起来是谁。) *这里的familiar指“听说过”。place 是“想起”的意思。 I know the name, but I can’t remember why. I can’t quite place him, but I know the name. 我忘记了她的名字。 I forgot her name. (我忘记了她的名字。) Her name is Mary. (她的名字叫玛丽。) *forgot是forget的过去式, 表示“忘记”、 “不记得”。 I can’t remember her name. (我想不起她的名字。) What was her name again? 我根本不认识他。 Do you know who that man is? (你知道那个男人是谁?) He’s a complete stranger to me. (我根本不认识他。) *He’s是He is的缩写。complete 指“根本”、 “完全的”。stranger 指“陌生人”。 I’ve never seen him before. (我以前从来没有见过他。) He’s a total stranger to me. I never saw him in my life. (我这辈子从来没有见过他。) *in one’s life “一生当中”。 你和史密斯先生关系密切吗? Are you close to Mr. Smith? (你和史密斯先生关系密切吗?) Actually, we met just a month ago. (实际上我们一个月前刚见过面。) *close “亲近的”。 *actually “实际上”、 “说真的”。 Are you and Mr. Smith good friends? Are you and Mr. Smith tight? 你和他是什么关系? How are you related to him? (你和他是什么关系?) He’s my brother-in-law. (他是我姐夫。) *related是relate的过去分词, 意思是“相关的”、 “有关系的”。 What is your relation to him? *relation “关系”、 “相关”。 Are you a relative of his? (你是他的亲戚吗?) *relative “亲属”、 “亲戚”。 我只是和他认识。 How well do you know Mr. Jones? (你对琼斯先生了解多少?) He’s only an acquaintance. (我只是和他认识。) *How well ...? “有多……”。 *acquaintance “认识的人”。 I’m only acquainted with him. *acquainted with ... “和……认识”。 I don’t know him well at all. (我并不怎么了解他。) *at all “根本(不……)”。 我和她已经没有任何关系了。 Are you still dating each other? (你们相互还约会吗?) No, I have nothing to do with her. (不, 我和她已经没有任何关系了。) *have nothing to do with ... “和……没有任何关系”。 I am not associated with her. *associate with ... “和……交往”。 I have no connection to her. *connection “关系”。 我和他没那么熟。 Why not ask him to lunch? (为什么不叫他吃午饭?) I don’t really know him that well. (我和他没那么熟。) We hardly know each other. *hardly “几乎不……”。 We aren’t that close. *close “亲近的”。 我和他是老相识了。 Do you know Mr. Aoki well? (你了解青木先生吗?) He and I go way back. (我和他是老相识了。) *way “非常”。go back “长时间的交往”。 We go a long way back. We knew each other way back when. We’ve known each other for ages. *for ages “长时间”。 对他我可以敞开心扉。 I can open myself up to him. (对他我可以敞开心扉。) Yeah, he’s that kind of guy. (是啊, 他就是那样的人。) *open up “畅谈”。 I can say anything to him. (我对他可以无话不谈。) I feel like I can tell him anything. 我们是很要好的朋友。 We’re buddies. (我们是很要好的朋友。) I wouldn’t have guessed that. (我一点都不知道。) *buddy “好朋友”、 “好伙伴”。 *guess “猜测”。直译是“我没想到”。 We’re good friends. We’re pals. *pal “朋友”、 “伙伴”。 我们之间直呼其名。 He called you Tom. (他叫你汤姆。) We’re on a first-name basis. (我们之间直呼其名。) *“on a ... basis”本来是“以……的方式”的意思。这句话表示“我们是直呼其名的关系”, 也就是说彼此的关系非常好。 We call each other by our first names. *each other “彼此”。 We use first names when we talk. 我们是风雨同舟的朋友。 Do you know him? (你认识他吗?) Yes. We’ve been through a lot together. (认识, 我们是风雨同舟的朋友。) *through表示“经过……”、 “历经……”。We’ve是We have的缩写。直译是“我们一起经历了很多事情”。 We have a long history. (我们是老交情了。) We’ve gone through a lot together. (我们在一起共患难过。) *go through “闯过”、 “经历(痛苦等)”。 We’ve helped each other through a lot. (我们一直都互相帮助。) We know each other well enough to tell what the other’s thinking. *这里的tell指“明白”。 We know each other so well that we can tell what the other’s thinking. 我们之间心有灵犀。 Do you work well with your partner? (你和你的搭档配合默契吗?) Yes. We read each other’s minds. (默契。我们之间心有灵犀。) *partner “搭档”、 “合伙者”。 *read “读懂(人的思想或脸色等)”。each other “相互”。mind “想法”、 “意见”。 How did you know he’d do that? (你怎么知道他会那么做?) We know each other so well that we can read each other’s minds. (我们彼此很了解, 知道对方想什么。) *he’d是he would的缩写。 *直译是“我们彼此非常了解以至于相互能够心领神会”。 We know what the other is thinking. (我们知道彼此的想法。) *think “思考”。 We are on the same wavelength. (我们彼此很了解。) *wavelength “波长”。 We are in sync. (我们的步调一致。) *sync “同步”、 “一致”。 我们是一类人。 I’m amazed at how similar we are. (我很吃惊我们那么相似。) We’re two of a kind. (我们是一类人。) *be amazed at ... “惊讶于……”。similar “相似的”。 *of a kind “相同种类的”、 “同质的”。 We are just alike. *alike “相同的”、 “一样的”、 “相似的”。 We have similar tastes. *taste “味道”、 “喜好”。 We like the same things. (我们喜欢相同的东西。) We’re like two peas in a pod. *two peas in a pod “一模一样”。 Great minds think alike. (英雄所见略同。) *习惯用语。 We’re kind of like each other. *kind of “有点儿”。like “像”。 We’re very similar. We’re a lot alike. 仔细想想, 咱们的处境相同啊。 Come to think of it, we are in the same boat. (仔细想想, 咱们的处境相同啊。) I never realized that. (我从来没有意识到。) *come to think of it “仔细想想”、 “想想看”。in the same boat “相同的处境”。 *never “从来不”。realize “意识到”、 “透彻理解”。 Now that I think of it, we are in the same situation. *now that ... “现如今……”。 Now that I think of it, we are victims of the same circumstances. *circumstances “境遇”。 我做梦都想不到咱们会在这里一起工作。 I never dreamed we’d be working here together. (我做梦都想不到咱们会在这里一起工作。) It’s a small world, isn’t it? (世界可真小。) *we’d是we would的缩写。“我做梦都想不到……”用dream这个词, 表达为I never dreamed。dream也有“想像”、 “思考”的意思。 I never imagined we’d be working here together. I never thought we’d be working together here. I never would have imagined we’d be working together here. *imagine “想像”、 “想”。 他和老板相处得很好。 How does he get along at work? (他在单位处得好不好?) He hits it off well with his boss. (他和老板相处得很好。) *get along “进展”。 *hit it off “关系好”、 “相处很好”。 He gets along very well with his boss. (他和老板很合得来。) He and his boss hit it off well. 我没有社交活动。 Do you spend time with your friends after work? (下班后你会和朋友在一起吗?) No, I have no social life. (不, 我没有社交活动。) *social life “社交活动”、 “人际交往”。 I don’t go out and socialize. *socialize “参加社交”。 I don’t spend time with friends. 我的社交活动只是工作的延续。 Do you go out with your coworkers after work? (下班后你和同事一起出去吗?) Yes, my social life is simply a continuation of my business life. (是, 我的社交活动只是工作的延续。) *coworker “同事”、 “工作伙伴”。 *simply “只是”。continuation “延长”、 “扩大”、 “延续”。 My social life is an extension of my business life. My social life and my business life are one and the same. *one and the same “同一个的”。 我们是窝里斗。 Do you and your coworkers get along? (你和同事相处融洽吗?) No, we’re like cats and dogs. (不融洽, 我们是窝里斗。) *get along “关系融洽”。 *cats and dogs “争吵不休的关系”。 We get along like oil and water. (我们水火不相容。) We don’t get along at all. 我喜欢诚实的人。 Why don’t you like him? (你为什么讨厌他?) I like a man who is honest. (我喜欢诚实的人。) *honest “诚实的”。 I prefer men who are honest. *prefer “更喜欢”。 I like an honest man. 我不希望你对我感恩戴德。 How can I repay you? (我怎么报答你呢?) I don’t want you to feel obligated to me. (我不希望你对我感恩戴德。) *repay “报答”、 “报恩”、 “还(钱)”。 *直译是“我不想让你觉得我有恩于你”。feel “感觉”。obligate “使感激”。 I don’t want you to feel like you owe me. Please don’t feel obligated. 你什么时候还我那50美元? When will you pay me back the $50? (你什么时候还我那50美元?) When I get paid. (等我发工资的时候。) *pay back “还”。 When will you return my $50? When will you give me back my $50? *give back “还”。 你认为什么最好? We have to buy a gift for him. (我们得给他买一件礼物。) What do you think is best? (你认为什么最好?) What do you think he’d like? (你认为他会喜欢什么?) What should we get? (买什么好呢?) ●关于健康的话题 你睡得好吗? Did you sleep well? (你睡得好吗?) Like a baby. (睡得很香。) *well “好”、 “满足”。 How did you sleep? Did you sleep okay? 你需要倒时差吗? Do you have jet lag? (你需要倒时差吗?) No, I feel just fine. (不, 我感觉还好。) *jet lag “时差综合症”。 Are you jet lagged? Jet lag getting to you? 这是因为时差的关系。 It’s because of the time difference. (这是因为时差的关系。) That explains it. (原来如此。) *difference “不同”。 It’s caused by the time difference. *cause “引起”。 The time difference is to blame. *be to blame “应承担责任”、 “该指责”。 一定是时差没倒过来。 I’m sleepy already and it’s only 7 p.m. (才7点钟我就已经困了。) It must be jet lag. (一定是时差没倒过来。) *sleepy “困倦的”。 You must be feeling jet lagged. It’s very likely jet lag. *likely “也许”、 “可能”。 我酒喝得太多了。 How’s your health? (你的身体怎么样?) I’m drinking too much. (我酒喝得太多了。) *drink “喝”、 “喝酒”。too much “太多”。 I drink too much. I shouldn’t drink so much. (我不该喝太多的酒。) 喝酒太多对你身体不好。 My coworkers and I go out for happy hour often. (我经常在优惠时间和同事一起去酒吧。) Drinking too much is not good for you. (喝酒太多对你身体不好。) *coworker “同事”、 “工作伙伴”。happy hour “(酒吧等的)优惠时间”。 You’ll ruin your health if you drink too much. *ruin “毁坏”。 Take it easy with alcohol. It’s hard on your body. (喝酒要适度。酒对你身体没好处。) 医生告诉我要少喝酒。 The doctor told me to cut down on the alcohol. (医生告诉我要少喝酒。) You’d better be careful. (你最好要小心。) *cut down on “减少(摄入或使用的量等)”。alcohol “酒精饮料”、 “酒”。 *careful “小心的”、 “注意的”。 The doctor told me to cut down on the booze. *booze “酒”。 The doctor said I should cut down on the alcohol. 我得少抽烟。 You seem short of breath lately. (你近来呼吸好像很急促。) I have to cut down on smoking. (我得少抽烟。) *short of breath “呼吸急促”。 I have to reduce my smoking. *reduce “使减少”。 I need to stop smoking so much. 我没法戒烟。 I can’t quit smoking. (我没法戒烟。) But it’s better for your health if you do. (但是戒掉对你身体会好一些。) *quit ...ing “停止……”。 I can’t stop smoking. *stop ...ing “停止……”。 I can’t give up smoking. *give up ...ing “放弃……”。 抽烟对你身体有害。 Why should I quit smoking? (我为什么必须戒烟?) It’s bad for your health. (抽烟对你身体有害。) *bad for ... “对……有害”。 It’s no good for you. It’s bad for you. 我的肩膀酸痛。 I have stiff shoulders. (我的肩膀酸痛。) You should take a hot bath. (你应该洗个热水澡。) *stiff是“坚硬的”、 “僵硬的”, stiff shoulders指“肩膀酸痛”。 My shoulders are stiff. My shoulders are tight. 当精神压力增大时我就变得很容易急躁。 I become irritable when stress builds up. (当精神压力增大时我就变得很容易急躁。) Don’t we all? (大家不都这样吗?) *irritable “急躁的”、 “易怒的”。build up “增加”、 “提高”。 When I’m stressed, I get crabby. *crabby “易怒的”、 “脾气坏的”。 I’m out of sorts when I get stressed. *be out of sorts “心情不好”、 “情绪不佳”。 这样做可以释放压力。 Why are you yelling? (你为什么大吼大叫?) This is how I let off steam. (这样做可以释放压力。) *yell “大声叫喊”。 *let off steam “发泄被压抑的感情”、 “释放压力”。 It helps to lower stress. (这样做可以帮助缓解压力。) *help “帮助”。lower “降低”。 It’s one way to get things off your chest. *get ... off one’s chest “使心情舒畅”。直译是“这是使心情舒畅的一种方法”。 我的身体很好。 I’m in good shape. (我的身体很好。) Do you work out regularly? (你定期锻炼吗?) *in good shape “身体好”。 *work out “锻炼”、 “运动”。 My body is in great shape. I’m fit as a fiddle. *fit as a fiddle “身体好”。 你的胃口可真好。 I’m still hungry. (我还觉得饿。) You have a great appetite. (你的胃口可真好。) *appetite指“食欲”, great appetite指“胃口好”。 You have a healthy appetite. *healthy appetite “食欲好”。 Your appetite is excellent. *excellent “极好的”、 “不错的”。 我担心长胖。 I’m worried about gaining weight. (我担心长胖。) Join the club!  (大家都一样。) *gaining weight “体重增加”。be worried about ... “为……烦恼”、 “担心……”。 *带有“我们也很在意体重”的含义。这里并不是说要参加哪个地方的俱乐部。 Gaining weight is a big worry for me. I’m concerned about weight gain. *be concerned about ... “担心……”、 “操心……”。 我一般不吃早饭。 I usually skip breakfast. (我一般不吃早饭。) That’s not very good for you. (那样对你身体不好。) *日常会话中常用的说法。skip “略过”。 I don’t usually eat breakfast. I don’t often take time for breakfast. *take time for ... “拿出时间……”。 我很快就要50岁了。 I’ll be fifty soon. (我很快就要50岁了。) You look great for your age. (你比实际年龄看起来年轻。) *soon “很快”、 “不久”。 *great是“好极了”的意思, 但是这里指“年轻”。这里的for指“相对于……”。 I’m about to turn fifty. *be about to ... “即将……”。turn “达到”。 My fiftieth birthday is coming up. (我50岁的生日就快到了。) *come up “接近”。 I’m going on fifty. I’ll be turning fifty soon. 你是什么血型? What’s your blood type? (你是什么血型?) I have type A blood. How about you? (我是A型。你呢?) *blood type “血型”。很多美国人对自己的血型都不关心。 What blood type are you? Are you aware of your blood type? (你知道你的血型吗?) *be aware of ... “注意到……”、 “知道……”。 Do you know your blood type? (你知道你的血型吗?) ●各种闲聊的话题 我希望人生过得有意义。 I want a life worth living. (我希望人生过得有意义。) We all want that. (我们大家都这么想。) *life “人生”、 “一生”。worth living “有活着的价值”。 I want a life to be proud of. (我想有一个引以为豪的人生。) *be proud of ... “引以为荣”。 I want a life that makes me feel good. (我希望人生幸福。) 我还不愿放弃单身生活。 Why don’t you get married? (你为什么不结婚?) I just can’t give up the single life. (我还不愿放弃单身生活。) *single life “单身生活”。 I can’t give up being a bachelor. (我不愿放弃独身。) *bachelor “独身男性”。 I just don’t want to get married. (我只是还不想结婚。) 我得存点钱。 I should save some money. (我得存点钱。) Put yourself on a budget. (那你就给自己列个预算。) *save “存钱”。 I should put aside some money. *put aside “储蓄”、 “放起来”。 I shouldn’t spend so much money. (我不该花那么多钱。) I’d better save some money. 我投资股票。 What are you doing with your money? (你怎么用你的钱?) I’m investing in stocks. (我投资股票。) *invest in ... “投资……”。stocks “股票”、 “公债”。 I’m putting my money into stocks. I’m buying stock. 本性难改。 You can’t change a leopard’s spots. (本性难改。) True, true. (对, 对。) *change one’s spots 指“改变本性”。leopard指“豹”, 这句话是谚语, 意思是“就像豹的花斑改变不了一样, 人的本性也是不容易改变的”。这里的 you 泛指每个人。 He’ll never change. (他永远不会变。) You’ll never make him understand. (你永远不可能让他理解的。) 我们必须为将来着想。 We have to think about the future. (我们必须为将来着想。) That’s for sure. (说得没错。) *future “未来”、 “将来”。 We have to think about tomorrow. We can’t just live for today. 你始终没变, 是吧? You never change, do you? (你始终没变, 是吧?) I’m proud to say that I’m consistent. (我可以自豪地说我始终如一。) *never “从来不……”。 *be proud to ... “认为做……是光荣的”。consistent “一贯的”、 “始终如一的”。 You’re always the same, aren’t you? *always “总是”。same “相同的”。 Your personality always remains the same, doesn’t it? (你的个性始终没变, 是不是?) *personality “个性”。remain “保持”。 这个世界可真小。 I knew her in college. (我在大学里就认识她。) It’s a small world, isn’t it? (这个世界可真小。) *这句话经常用到。作为习惯用语这么记下来就可以了。 What a coincidence! (太巧了!) *coincidence “巧合”。 What a small world! 男人显出虚荣心时可真可爱。 Men are so cute when they show their vanity. (男人显出虚荣心时可真可爱。) I know what you mean. (我明白你的意思。) *vanity “狂妄”、 “自大”、 “虚荣心”。cute “可爱的”、 “做作的”。 *mean “意思是”。 Men are so cute when they are being vain. *vain “虚荣心强的”。 When men act vain I find them cute. 今天早上的报纸你看了吗? What’s everybody talking about? (人们都在议论什么?) Did you see the morning paper? (今天早上的报纸你看了吗?) *morning paper “早报”。paper 也指“报纸(newspaper)”。 Have you seen the paper this morning? Did you look at today’s paper? X公司可能会倒闭。 X Company might go under. (X公司可能会倒闭。) Where did you hear that? (你从哪里听说的?) *go under “(公司或计划等)破产”、 “倒闭”。 X Company may be going under. X Company could be going out of business. *go out of business “破产”、 “倒闭”。 那家公司破产了。 That company’s gone under. (那家公司破产了。) I’m speechless. (我都不知说什么好了。) *speechless “一时讲不出话的”、 “哑口无言”。 That company went bankrupt. (那家公司破产了。) *go bankrupt “破产”、 “倒闭”。 That company failed. *fail “破产”。 我听说他们最终倒闭了。 I heard they finally folded. (我听说他们最终倒闭了。) Yes, they’re history. (是, 他们已经成为历史了。) *fold “停止”、 “结束”。 *history “历史”。 I heard they’re out of business. I heard they finally gave up. *give up “停止”、 “放弃”。 他偷了我们公司的钱。 He stole some money from our company. (他偷了我们公司的钱。) I knew he couldn’t be trusted. (我就知道他不可信。) *steal ... from ... “从……偷走……”。 He took money from our company. He stole company funds. *fund “资金”。 我觉得他的成功很可疑。 Do you know how rich he is? (你知道他有多富有吗?) I’m suspicious of his success. (我觉得他的成功很可疑。) *suspicious “奇怪的”、 “可疑的”、 “疑心的”。 The way he became successful is suspicious. (他取得成功的方法令人怀疑。) I can’t help being suspicious of his success. (我不能不怀疑他的成功。) There is something fishy about his success. (他的成功有可疑之处。) *fishy “可疑的”、 “疑心的”。 【No的说法[2]】 只说一个“No”字, 常常不能把真正的意思传达给对方。下面我们就来看带有各种含义的“No”的说法吧。 ◆ 不, 还没有。 A: Have you finished the report? (报告你写完了吗?) B: Not yet. (不, 还没有。) ◆ 不是那支。 A: I found your pen. (我找到你的钢笔了。) B: That’s not it. (不是那支。) ◆ 不能那么说。 A: Is he your boyfriend? (他是你男朋友吗?) B: Not exactly. (不能那么说。) ◆ 恐怕还不行。 A: Can I get a refund? (可以把钱退给我了吗?) B: I’m afraid not. (恐怕还不行。) ◆ 并不总是这样。 A: She’s always polite. (她总是很有礼貌。) B: Not always. (并不总是这样。) ◆ 不怎么喜欢。 A: Did you like the movie? (这部电影你喜欢吗?) B: Not really. (不怎么喜欢。) ◆ 没有的事! A: I think she’s pregnant. (我想她怀孕了。) B: No way! (没有的事!)

使用道具 举报

65#
发表于 2008-10-23 14:07:43 |只看该作者
闲聊 ●有关传言的对话 有什么消息? Any news? (有什么消息?) Not yet, I’m afraid. (很遗憾没有。) *news “消息”、 “新闻”。 *I’m afraid. 用于说出令人不快的事实等场合。 Have you heard anything? Any information? 我已经听说了。 Let me tell you the story. (我来给你讲一下。) I’ve heard it already. (我已经听说了。) I’ve already heard that. That’s old news. (那已经是过时的新闻了。) 我想起来了。 He was our manager. (他曾经是我们的经理。) That rings a bell. (我想起来了。) *manager “经理”、 “经营者”。 *ring “响”。bell “钟”。ring a bell “引起模糊回忆”。习惯用语, 这么记下来就可以了。 That sounds familiar. (好像有点熟。) *familiar “熟悉的”。 Oh, maybe I remember now. (哦, 我好像记起来了。) *maybe “也许”。remember “想起”。 对了…… His plane comes in at one o’clock. (他的飞机1点到达。) That reminds me, what time do you want to go to lunch? (对了, 你想几点吃午饭?) *remind “使想起”。 Oh, yeah, ... (哦, 对了……) By the way, ... (顺便问一下……) 这可真有意思。 The meeting ended abruptly. (会议突然结束了。) That’s interesting. (这可真有意思。) *interesting表示“有趣的”, 这里略带讽刺, 会话中常会用到。相当于中文的“奇怪”、 “可笑”。 That’s an interesting development. That’s bizarre. (有点怪。) That’s out of the ordinary. *out of the ordinary “异常的”。 你肯定吗? He just got married. (他刚结婚。) Are you sure? (你肯定吗?) *be sure “确定”。 Are you positive? *positive “确信的”。 Really? 好像是真的。 I heard that the ABC Company is doing well. (我听说ABC公司经营得不错。) That sounds true. (好像是真的。) *be doing well “顺利”、 “干得不错”。 That sounds right. (好像是。) *right “正确的”。 That sounds like a fact. (好像确有其事。) *fact “事实”。 那也许是真的。 Did you hear the rumor? (你听到传言了吗?) It might be true. (那也许是真的。) *rumor “谣言”、 “传言”。 *might “也许……”。 It could be true. *could “也许”、 It’s possible it’s true. *possible “可能的”。 真相是这样的。 That’s what I heard. (我听到的就是这些。) The real story is this. (真相是这样的。) *real “真正的”。 Here’s the real story. I’ll tell you the real story. (我来告诉你真相。) 果然如此。 Jane just announced she is getting married. (简刚宣布说她要结婚了。) I guessed right. (果然如此。) *guess “猜测”。直译是“我的猜测是对的”、 “我猜对了”。 I was right. (我是对的。) I knew it all along. (我一开始就知道了。) *all long “一直”、 “从一开始”。 消息传得可真快。 I heard you’re going to be transferred. (我听说你要调走了。) News gets around. (消息传得可真快。) *get around “(传言等)传遍”、 “传播”。 News travels fast. Word gets around fast. Rumors spread quickly, don’t they? (谣言传得可真快。) 别提这个话题。 Is the company really going out of business? (那家公司真的要倒闭了吗?) Don’t mention that subject. (别提这个话题。) *go out of business “破产”、 “倒闭”。 *mention “提及”、 “叙说”。subject “话题”、 “主题”。 Don’t bring that up. *bring ... up “言及(话题等)”。 Don’t talk about that. I don’t want to hear about that. (那件事我不想听。) *hear about ... “听关于……”。 Don’t say a word about that. 别散播谣言了。 I heard she got fired. (我听说她被解雇了。) Don’t spread false rumors. (别散播谣言了。) *spread “散播”、 “传播”。false “错误的”、 “虚假的”。rumor “谣言”。 Don’t gossip about things that aren’t true. *gossip “传播谣言”。 Stop spreading lies. (不要散播谣言。) 关于这件事你知道些什么? What do you know about it? (关于这件事你知道些什么?) I only know what the boss told me. (我只知道老板告诉我的那么多。) Do you know the story? (你知道那件事吗?) What’s the scoop? (有什么特别消息吗?) *scoop “独家新闻”。 你在想什么? What’s on your mind? (你在想什么?) My upcoming vacation. (不久的假期。) *习惯用语。be on one’s mind “心里想着”。 What are you thinking about? What do you have on your mind? 我听的可不是那样。 I heard she just retired. (我听说她刚退休。) That’s not what I heard. (我听的可不是那样。) *retire “退休”。 *what I heard “我听说的事”。 That’s not the way I heard it. I sure heard it differently. *sure “确实”。differently “不同”、 “不一样”。 我听说了。 She’s not going to New York, you know. (她不去纽约了。) That’s what I’ve heard. (我听说了。) *这里的That’s是That is的缩写, That指的是听说的事情。 That’s what they tell me. I heard that. 消息已经传开了。 The news is out now already. (消息已经传开了。) We were hoping to keep it quiet for a while. (我们本来还希望能保密一段时间的。) *out “传开”、 “被公布”。 *keep it quiet “保密”。 The news is already out. The news broke already. *这里的break指“传开”、 “传遍”。 你可以公开我的话。 Do you really mean that? (你说的当真?) You can quote me on it. (你可以公开我的话。) *quote “引用”, 直译是“关于这件事你可以对别人说是我说的”。 What I said is on the record. (我说的话可以公开。) *on the record “公开发表”、 “记录下来”。 This is for the record. 反意为:What I said is off the record. (我说的话不得发表。) ●传言的常用句型 我听说…… A little bird told me that you’re engaged. (我听说你订婚了。) Yes, I am. (是这样。) *“A little bird told me that ...”来自《圣经•旧约全书》中的“小鸟会传播谣言所以不要说坏话”。固定说法, 意思是“我听说……”。 Word has it, you got promoted. (我听说你高升了。) How did you know? (你怎么知道的?) Do you think she likes me? (你觉得她喜欢我吗?) Rumor has it, she does. (听说她喜欢。) *rumor “传言”、 “谣言”。 I heard it through the grapevine that ... (风闻……) *hear ... through the grapevine “风闻”。“通过传言得知……”可以用hear through the grapevine这个习惯用语来表达。grapevine是葡萄藤, 这里的意思是“秘密”、 “谣言”、 “流言”。 Someone said that ... (有人说……) I’ve heard ... (我听说……) According to rumor, ... (据说……) I heard a rumor that ... Someone told me that ... I’ve heard a rumor that ... 你对我隐瞒了什么吗? Are you hiding anything from me? (你对我隐瞒了什么吗?) I never hide anything from you. (我从来没有对你隐瞒什么。) *hide “隐瞒”。 *never “从来没有……”。 Are you keeping anything from me? *keep ... from ... “向……隐瞒……”。 Are you being straight with me? *这里的straight指“诚实的”。 说实话…… To tell you the truth, we’re not doing very well. (说实话, 我们的情况不是太好。) What are you going to do? (那你们准备怎么办?) *tell “告诉”。truth “实情”、 “事实”。well “好”。 *wonderful “极好的”。 Frankly, ... (坦率地说……) *frankly “坦率地说”、 “坦率地”。 Truthfully speaking, ... (说实在的……) *truthfully “诚实地”、 “实在地”。 无风不起浪嘛。 I guess the rumors were true. (我猜传言是真的。) Where there’s smoke, there’s fire. (无风不起浪嘛。) *谚语。直译是“哪里有烟, 哪里就有火”。 There’s usually a grain of truth in every story. (每个传闻里通常都会有一点可信的东西。) *grain of truth “一点真实性”。 There’s no smoke without fire. 我不愿背后说他, 不过…… I hate to talk behind his back, but he’s so rude. (我不愿背后说他, 不过他太粗鲁了。) I noticed that also. (我也发现了。) *hate “讨厌”。behind one’s back “在……的背后”。 *notice “注意到”、 “发现”。 I hate to gossip about him, but ... (我不愿说他闲话, 不过……) *gossip “说闲话”。 I know I shouldn’t talk about him when he isn’t around, but ... (我知道我不应该在他不在场时谈论他, 不过……) *around “在周围”。 这些不要外传。 This is just between you and me. (这些不要外传。) OK. I won’t tell anybody. (好的。我不会告诉任何人。) *between “在……之间”、 “在……的中间”。这种场合的习惯用语。 This is confidential. (这个要保密。) *confidential指“秘密的”, 用于说出要保密的话的时候。 This is just between us. Please keep this confidential. (请你保密。) This is a secret. (这是秘密。) I don’t want anyone to hear us. (我不想让其他人听到我们的话。) Please keep this between us. (这是我们俩的秘密。) 这个对谁都别说。 Mum’s the word. (这个对谁都别说。) You can trust me. (尽管相信我。) *mum指“沉默”。“Mum’s the word.”是习惯用语, 表示“对谁都别说”、 “要保密”。 Don’t tell anyone. Don’t let the cat out of the bag. *直译是“不要让猫从袋子里出来”, 习惯用语, 表示“不要不小心泄漏秘密”。 你能保证对谁都不说吗? Can you promise not to tell anyone? (你能保证对谁都不说吗?) I give you my word. (我保证。) *not to tell anyone “对谁都不说”。“not to ...”表示“不要……”, 记住这个句型用起来会很方便。 Can you keep this between us? (你能保守这个秘密吗?) *between一般用在两个人之间, 如果是三个人, 就用among。 Can you keep this a secret? (你能保守这个秘密吗?) 我的嘴很严。 Are you sure you can keep a secret? (你真能保密吗?) My lips are sealed. (我的嘴很严。) *keep a secret “保密”。 *seal “封上”。 I won’t say a word. (我什么都不会说的。) I promise not to say anything. (我保证什么都不说。) Mum’s the word. (我会保密的。) *习惯用语。 实际上…… Our manager is resigning. (我们经理要辞职了。) Actually, that’s a good thing. (实际上这是一件好事。) *resign “辞职”。 As a matter of fact, ... (实际上/事实上……) In reality, ... *reality “现实”、 “真实性”。 我不能告诉你。 Is the rumor true? (传言是真的吗?) I can’t tell you. (我不能告诉你。) It’s a secret. (这是秘密。) I shouldn’t tell you. (我不能告诉你。) 果然没错! No bonuses again this year. (今年又没有奖金。) That figures! (果然没错!) *That figures. “果然如此”、 “早知如此”。固定说法, 记住就可以了。 I’m not surprised! What else is new? 这对我来说还是个新闻。 Did you hear that Mr. Jones is sick? (你听说琼斯先生病了吗?) That’s news to me. (这对我来说还是个新闻。) I wasn’t aware of that. *be aware of ... “注意到……”。 This is the first I’ve heard of it. (这是我第一次听说。) I didn’t know that. I hadn’t heard that. (我没有听说。) I haven’t heard that before. 大家都知道。 The manager and the president had a fight. (经理和董事长吵架了。) Everybody knows about that. (大家都知道。) *manager “经理”、 “管理人”。president “董事长”。fight “吵架”、 “打仗”。 *everybody “每个人”。 That isn’t news to anyone. So, what else is new? (还有什么新闻?) It’s just gossip. *gossip “闲话”。 It’s just hearsay. *hearsay “谣言”、 “流言”。 完全是谣言。 I heard X Company is going under. (我听说X公司要破产了。) That’s not true. That’s a groundless rumor. (那不是真的, 完全是谣言。) *go under “(公司或计划等)破产”、 “倒闭”。 *groundless “没有根据的”、 “没有事实依据的”。rumor “谣言”。 That rumor has no truth to it. It’s just a rumor. (那只是谣言。) That is an unfounded rumor. (那是个毫无根据的谣言。) *unfounded “没有根据的”。 There’s no truth to the rumor. 谁告诉你的? X Company is suing us. (X公司要起诉我们。) Who told you that? (谁告诉你的?) *sue “起诉”。 Who gave you the news? What’s your source of information? (你的消息是从哪里来的?) *source “(消息等的)出处”。 这只是一种直觉。 Why do you think that? (你为什么那么认为?) It’s just a hunch. (这只是一种直觉。) *hunch “直觉”、 “预感”。 It’s just a guess. *guess “猜测”、 “臆测”。 It’s just a feeling. I just have a feeling. I just sense it. *sense “(通过五官)感觉”。 只是开玩笑。 You said you were selling the business? (你说你要把公司卖了?) Just kidding. (只是开玩笑。) *用于开玩笑之后。kid “开玩笑”。 I was just joking. (我只是在开玩笑。) Please don’t tease me about that. (请别拿那件事逗我。) *tease “取笑”、 “逗弄”。 Only joking. It was a joke. I was only kidding. I was only joking. 那件事还不只这些。 There’s more to it than that. (那件事还不只这些。) Do you know something I don’t? (你还知道什么我不知道的?) There is more to the story. Those aren’t all the facts. *fact “事实”。 我也是听说的。 Is that reliable information? (那个消息可靠吗?) No, I heard it secondhand. (不可靠, 我也是听说的。) *reliable “可靠的”。information “消息”。 *secondhand “第二手的”。 This is secondhand information. I heard it from someone who heard if from someone else. (我听说的也是别人听来以后告诉我的。) 以后的事大家都知道了。 The rest is history. (以后的事大家都知道了。) How interesting to know the background. (了解一下个中原因可真有意思。) *rest “剩下的”。这里的history不是指“历史学”, 而是习惯用语, 表示“这以后的事情就是大家知道的那样”。 *background “背景”、 “经历”。 I don’t have to tell you the rest of the story. (这以后的情况我就没必要再告诉你了。) Of course, you know the story from there. (当然, 这以后的情况你就都知道了。) 请你就当没听说过这件事。 Please forget you ever heard it. (请你就当没听说过这件事。) It’s already forgotten. (我已经忘了。) *直译是“请忘记你曾经听说过这件事”。ever 指“迄今为止”、 “曾经”。 *already “已经”。 Please pretend you never heard it. (就当你从来没有听说过这件事。) Please forget all about having heard it. 真是说曹操曹操到。 Jim just walked in. (吉姆刚好进来。) Speak of the devil. (真是说曹操曹操到。) *常用的固定说法。用于正说着什么人这个人就出现了的时候。意思是“说曹操曹操到”。 What a coincidence. (太巧了。) *coincidence “巧合”。 Just as I was saying. (就在我正说着的时候。) ●公司里的闲话 我老板一大早就心情不好。 My boss has been grumpy since this morning. (我老板一大早就心情不好。) Maybe he had a fight with his wife again. (也许他又和妻子吵架了。) *grumpy “脾气坏的”、 “含怒的”、 “不高兴的”。 *have a fight with ... “和……吵架”。 My boss has been grouchy since this morning. *grouchy “脾气坏的”、 “喜欢抱怨的”。 The boss has been in a bad mood since this morning. *be in a bad mood “心情不好”。 我老板今天心情很好。 My boss is in a good mood today. (我老板今天心情很好。) It’s about time. (总算好了。) *in a good mood “心情好”。 My boss is feeling good today. My boss is in rare form today. (我老板今天心情出奇地好。) *in form “心情好”。 反意为:My boss is in a bad mood today. (我老板今天心情不好。) 我看见我们老板在一家酒吧喝了太多的酒。 I saw our boss drinking too much at a bar. (我看见我们老板在一家酒吧喝了太多的酒。) Did he see you? (他看见你了吗?) *see ... ...ing “看见……正在……”。 I saw the boss at a bar drinking too much. I ran into the boss at a bar. He was on a drinking binge. (我在酒吧碰见了老板。他狂饮不止。) *binge “随心所欲”、 “狂饮作乐”。 他把一笔个人消费记到了消费账户。 Why is he in trouble? (他有什么麻烦了?) He billed a personal item to his expense account. (他把一笔个人消费记到了消费账户。) *bill “把……登账”。a personal item “个人项目”。expense account “(公司负担的)交际费”、 “消费账户”。 He put a personal item on his expense account. He charged a personal item to his expense account. *charge “记账”。 He paid for a personal item with his expense account. 他打瞌睡让人看见了。 He got caught dozing. (他打瞌睡让人看见了。) Shame on him! (太不像话了!) *这里的catch指“看见”。doze “打瞌睡”。 *Shame on ... “……是可耻的”。 He was caught sleeping. (他睡觉让人看见了。) He was napping on the job. (他工作的时候打盹儿。) *nap “打盹儿”。 他昨晚参加了一个鸡尾酒会。 Mr. Smith looks so tired today. (史密斯先生今天看起来很疲劳。) He attended a cocktail party last night. (他昨晚参加了一个鸡尾酒会。) *attend “出席(会等)”。 He went to a cocktail party last night. He was at a cocktail party last night. 他一整天都很烦躁。 He’s been edgy all day. (他一整天都很烦躁。) He’s hard to deal with. (他可真难伺候。) *edgy “易怒的”、 “不耐烦的”、 “紧张的”。 *deal with “处理(人或事情)”、 “对待”、 “交往”。 He’s been on edge all day. He seemed very tense today. 我想他家里也许出了什么事。 Mr. Aoki seems down lately. (青木先生最近看起来很消沉。) I think he has some trouble at home. (我想他家里也许出了什么事。) *这句话意思是“也许发生了什么让人担心的事情”。 I think things at home are difficult. I think he’s unhappy at home. (我想他在家里可能不痛快。) 还是老问题。 What’s wrong with him? (他怎么啦?) It’s the same old problem. (还是老问题。) The problem is the same. The problem never changes. It’s always the same problem. 史密斯先生是个什么样的人? What’s Mr. Smith like? (史密斯先生是个什么样的人?) He’s very easy to get along with. (他很好相处。) *What’s ... like? “……是什么样的?”。 *get along “相处融洽”、 “关系和睦”。 What do you think of Mr. Smith? What’s your opinion of Mr. Smith? 他工作的时候总是唱歌。 He always sings while he works. (他工作的时候总是唱歌。) That’s a bit odd. (这有点怪。) *while “……的时候”、 “……的期间”。 *odd “奇怪的”、 “不平常的”。 He likes to sing while he works. He is always singing at work. Singing seems to help him work. (唱歌好像对他的工作有帮助。) 人人都喜欢他。 He gets a lot of phone calls everyday. (他每天都接到很多电话。) Everyone likes him. (人人都喜欢他。) He’s liked by everyone. (每个人都喜欢他。) Everyone thinks he’s great. 他是公司里的怪物。 He’s the odd-ball of the office. (他是公司里的怪物。) I know. We’ve all noticed that. (我知道。我们都注意到了。) *odd-ball “怪人”、 “性格别扭的人”。 He’s the strange one at the office. He’s different than everybody else at the office. (他和公司其他任何人都不一样。) 他就是这么挑剔。 He has interviewed a dozen people. (他已经面试了十几个人。) He’s so picky. (他就是这么挑剔。) *picky “神经质的”、 “挑剔的”。贬义词。 He’s so particular. *particular也表示“挑剔的”。 He’s very selective. *selective “挑剔的”。 这世上什么人都有。 Mr. Ono is not happy unless he is the center of attention. (小野先生不成为焦点人物就不满足。) It takes all sorts. (这世上什么人都有。) *谚语。sort “种类”、 “类型”。 There are all kinds of people. *all kinds of “各种各样的”。 It takes all kinds. 他每天都带着妻子给他准备的午饭。 He brings the lunch his wife prepares daily. (他每天都带着妻子给他准备的午饭。) I bet he saves a lot of money. (他肯定省下了不少钱。) *prepare “准备”。daily “每天”。 His wife prepares his lunch everyday. Everyday he brings the lunch his wife fixes. *这里的fix指“做(饭)”。 他是个烟鬼。 He keeps stepping outside. (他老是到外面去。) He’s a chain-smoker. (他是个烟鬼。) *keep ...ing “持续做……”、 “老是做……”。step “走”。 *chain-smoker “不停地抽烟的人”。 He smokes like a chimney. *chimney是“烟囱”的意思, smoke like a chimney指的是“烟鬼”。 He smokes one after another. *one after another “一根接着一根地”、 “不停地”。 He’s a heavy smoker. (他是个烟鬼。) *这里的heavy指“过度的”。 史密斯先生长胖了。 Mr. Smith has been putting on weight. (史密斯先生长胖了。) He should go on a diet. (他应该节食。) *put on weight “体重增加”。 Mr. Smith has put on weight. (史密斯先生胖了。) Mr. Smith is getting fatter. 她过去很苗条。 Her clothes are too tight. (她的衣服太紧了。) She used to be slender. (她过去很苗条。) *used to ... “以前是……”。slender “苗条的”、 “瘦的”。 She’s gained weight. (她胖了。) She used to be slim. She used to be thin. She used to be skinny. 她胃口不好。 She didn’t eat much. (她吃得不多。) She has a poor appetite. (她胃口不好。) *这里的poor指“贫乏的”、 “少的”、 “一点点的”。appetite 指“食欲”。 She doesn’t have much of an appetite. She has a small appetite. 反意为:She has an appetite. (她胃口不错。) 她酒量很好。 She can hold her liquor well. (她酒量很好。) Yeah, I’m no match for her. (是, 我比不过她。) *习惯用语, 指“能喝酒的”、 “不醉的”。这里的hold指“维持”。 *no match for ... “比不过……”。 She can hold her own. She can handle her drinks. She can really hold her booze. *booze “酒”。 She can drink a lot of alcohol. She holds her liquor better than I do. (她比我能喝酒。) 她没有化妆。 She looks pale today. (她今天看起来脸色苍白。) She’s not wearing any makeup. (她没有化妆。) She’s going natural. She’s without makeup. 他们通宵打麻将。 They’re staying up all night playing mahjong. (他们通宵打麻将。) Sounds fun, but tiring. (好像很有意思, 不过太累人了。) *stay up “不睡觉”。 They’re playing mahjong all night. They’re up all hours playing mahjong. 他把雨伞当成高尔夫球杆挥。 He swings his umbrella as if it were a golf club. (他把雨伞当成高尔夫球杆挥。) He’s always thinking about golf. (他总是想着打高尔夫球。) *as if ... “好像……”。swing “摇晃”、 “挥动”、 “挥舞”。umbrella “伞”。 He pretends his umbrella is a golf club. *pretend “假装”。 He uses his umbrella as if it were a golf club. He practices with his umbrella as if it were a golf club. *practice “练习”。 我们一谈论高尔夫球, 他就神采飞扬。 When we talk about golf, his face lights up. (我们一谈论高尔夫球, 他就神采飞扬。) I know. He plays twice a week. (我知道。他每星期玩两次。) *light up “变亮”、 “放光”。 He really adores golf. (他酷爱高尔夫球。) *adore “酷爱”。 He gets so excited when we discuss golf. 我听说公司还要雇更多的人。 I heard the company’s going to hire more people. (我听说公司还要雇更多的人。) I wonder if it’s true. (我不知道是不是真的。) *hire “雇用”。 *I wonder if ... “我想是否……”。 I hear the company’s hiring more employees. Is it true that the company will hire more people? Rumor has it that the company will be hiring more people. *rumor “传言”。 他全扑到工作上了。 He’s married to his work. (他全扑到工作上了。) I know. (我知道。) *be married to ... “和……结婚”, 比喻“埋头于……”的意思。 He invests a lot in his work. *这里的invest指“花费(时间或精力等)”。 His work takes a lot of his time and effort. (他的工作占用了他很多时间和精力。) Work is all he cares about. (他只关心工作。) *care about ... “关心……”。 His work means everything to him. (对他来说工作就是一切。) 他是一个工作狂。 John stayed till 11 p.m. last night. (昨晚约翰一直待到夜里11点钟。) He’s a workaholic. (他是一个工作狂。) He’s crazy about his job. *crazy “沉迷的”、 “着迷的”、 “疯狂的”。 He works all the time. (他总在工作。) 青木先生工作操劳过度累死了。 Mr. Aoki died from overwork. (青木先生工作操劳过度累死了。) What a shame. (太可悲了。) *die from ... “死于……”。overwork “工作过度”。 *shame “遗憾的事”、 “可悲的事”。 Mr. Aoki is dead from working so hard. Working too hard killed Mr. Aoki. 我可不想像他那样。 He’s going through a difficult time. (他的日子不好过。) I wouldn’t want to be in his shoes for anything. (我可不想像他那样。) *go through “经历”。 *in one’s shoes “站在……的立场上”、 “设身处地”。 I sure wouldn’t want to be in his place. I wouldn’t want to be him right now. 活该。 He got a poor evaluation. (他得到的评价很差。) It serves him right. (活该。) *evaluation “评价”。 *serve ... right “给……应有的报应”。习惯用语, 表示“活该”、 “自作自受”。 He had it coming to him. He deserved it. (他是自作自受。) 他工于心计是出了名的。 He has a reputation as a wheeler-dealer. (他工于心计是出了名的。) Is that so? (是真的吗?) *reputation “名声”、 “名气”。wheeler-dealer 常带有轻蔑的含义, 指“(生意或政治上)为所欲为的人”、 “工于心计者”。 He’s known as a wheeler-dealer. (他工于心计是众所周知的。) He’s a wheeling-dealing businessman. (他是一个工于心计的商人。) 他同时干很多事情。 He has many irons in the fire. (他同时干很多事情。) He’s always been that way. (他总是那个样子。) *have many irons in the fire是习惯用语, 表示“同时做很多的事情”。直译是“他把很多的铁放入火中”。 He has a lot of things going on. He’s involved in many things. *be involved in ... “卷入……”。 不是因为他聪明, 而是因为他勤奋。 What makes him so successful? (他为什么那么成功?) It’s not because he’s smart, but because he’s diligent. (不是因为他聪明, 而是因为他勤奋。) *successful “成功的”。 *smart “聪明的”。diligent “勤奋的”。 It’s due to his diligence, not his intelligence. *due to ... “由于……”。diligence “勤奋”、 “努力”。intelligence “智力”。 He is more diligent than smart. (他勤奋多过聪明。) He isn’t so smart, but he is diligent. (他并不怎么聪明, 但是很勤奋。) 他很能说。 Why do people like him so much? (为什么大家那么喜欢他?) He’s very talkative. (他很能说。) *talkative “能说的”。 He talks a lot. He has the gift of gab. *have the gift of gab “能说会道”、 “快言快语”。 不管他怎么努力工作, 他都升不上去。 No matter how hard he works, he never gets promoted. (不管他怎么努力工作, 他都升不上去。) Hard work isn’t the only reason people get promoted. (工作努力不是升职的惟一因素。) *no matter how ... “不管……”。hard “努力地”、 “拼命地”。get promoted “升职”。 He never gets promoted, no matter how hard he works. Even though he works hard, he doesn’t get promoted. 他经济上有困难。 Why did he get a second job? (他为什么又做了一份工作?) He has financial difficulties. (他经济上有困难。) *financial difficulties “经济上的困难”。 He is having financial difficulties. He has money problems. 我听说他现在身无分文。 I heard he’s flat broke now. (我听说他现在身无分文。) I’m surprised to hear that. (真让我吃惊。) *flat意思是“完全”、 “彻底”, flat broke指“身无分文的”、 “精光的”。 I heard he’s stone-broke now. *stone-broke “身无分文的”。 I hear that now he has absolutely no money. *absolutely “完全”。 I heard he’s dead broke now. *这里的dead指“完全”。 这里一定有什么原因。 I don’t know why Mr. Smith was fired. (我不知道史密斯先生为什么被解雇了。) There must be some reason. (这里一定有什么原因。) *这里的must指“一定”。reason 指“原因”。 There has to be a reason. *have to be ... “一定有……”。 There must be some explanation. *这里的explanation指“解释”、 “理由”。 他是闲人。 He’s a surplus worker. (他是闲人。) I didn’t know that. (我还不知道这个。) *surplus “多余的”。 He’s an extra worker. *extra “多余的”。 He’s the deadwood in our department. (他是我们部门的闲人。) *deadwood “没有用的人”。department “部门”。 他开始显老了。 He’s beginning to show his age. (他开始显老了。) True, but he still looks good for sixty. (是啊, 不过他看上去还是比60岁要年轻。) *begin to ... “开始……”。show “显出”。 He is starting to look his age. His age is becoming obvious. *obvious “明显的”。 他很想要那个。 He wanted that very much. (他很想要那个。) Sorry, he didn’t get it. (很遗憾, 他没有得到。) He wanted that immensely. *immensely “非常”、 “很”。 It’s something he really wanted. (那是他很想要的。) 我不知道他住在这里。 I didn’t know he lived here. (我不知道他住在这里。) He just moved in last week. (他上个星期刚搬进来。) *用于看到认识的人时的说法。要注意根据现在的状况不同, 用的时态也会不同。这句话说的是不知道提到的那个人现在住在这里。 如果是以前住在这里, 但是现在已经不住了, 就可以说成“I didn’t know he used to live here.”。 I wasn’t aware that he lived here. *aware “注意到的”。 I was unaware that he lived here. *unaware “没有注意到的”、 “不知道的”。 ●男女关系的传言 田中小姐要结婚了。 Miss Tanaka is going to get married. (田中小姐要结婚了。) That’s wonderful. (太好了。) *get married “结婚”。 Miss Tanaka and Mr. Aoki will get married. (田中小姐和青木先生要结婚了。) Miss Tanaka will marry Mr. Aoki. (田中小姐要和青木先生结婚。) Miss Tanaka will get married to Mr. Aoki. (田中小姐要嫁给青木先生。) 我听说你要结婚了。 I’ve heard you’re getting married. (我听说你要结婚了。) Yes, next month actually. (是啊, 实际上就在下个月。) I’ve been told you’re tying the knot. *tie the knot “结婚”。 I understand you’re getting married. I’ve heard there are wedding plans in your future. *in one’s future “将来”。 你们俩之间发生什么没有? What’s going on between you two? (你们俩之间发生什么没有?) Nothing really. We’re just friends. (没什么。我们只是朋友关系。) *go on “发生”。between “在……之间”。 What’s with the two of you? Is there something between you two? 你一直在和他交往吗? Have you been seeing him? (你一直在和他交往吗?) We’ve been dating for three months. (我们交往已经有3个月了。) *see是动词, 表示“交往”。 *date是动词, 和see相同, 也表示“交往”的意思。 Have you been dating him? Have you been going out with him? *go out with ... “和……交往”、 “和……约会”。 漂亮的女孩都已经名花有主了。 Ever think of getting married? (想过要结婚吗?) Yes, but all the pretty girls are taken. (想过, 可是漂亮的女孩都已经名花有主了。) *be taken “被得到”、 “没有空的”。 Every good-looking one is taken. *good-looking “漂亮的”、 “长相好的”。 All the good ones are taken. All the good-looking men are married. (所有的帅男人都结婚了。) 青木小姐是你喜欢的类型吧? Miss Aoki is your type, isn’t she? (青木小姐是你喜欢的类型吧?) You can say that again. (完全正确。) *type “类型”。 *“You can say that again.”是习惯用语, 表示“完全正确”。 Is Miss Aoki your type? I bet Miss Aoki is your type, isn’t she? *I bet ... “一定是……”。 我怎么能认识她? How can I get to know her? (我怎么能认识她?) I can introduce you to her, if you like. (如果你愿意, 我可以把你介绍给她。) *“How can I ...?” 表示“怎么能够……”。get to know 指“认识”。 What would it take to get to know her? Any way I could get to know her? (有什么认识她的办法吗?) How do you think I could get to know her? 我想约她出去。 I want to ask her out. (我想约她出去。) Just go for it!  (那你就去约吧!) *ask ... out “约会……”。 *go for it “全力争取”。 I’d like to take her out. *take ... out “带……去约会”。 I want to ask her out for a date. 昨天我和青木小姐约会了。 I had a date with Miss Aoki yesterday. (昨天我和青木小姐约会了。) Fantastic! She is a great girl. (太棒了!她是一个好姑娘。) *这里的date不是“日期”的意思, 而是指“(和异性的)约会”。 *fantastic “好极了”、 “太棒了”。 I went out with Miss Aoki yesterday. *go out with ... “(和异性)交往”、 “约会”。 Miss Aoki and I had a date yesterday. 我听说他们热恋了。 What’s happening between Miss Aoki and the manager? (青木小姐和经理之间有什么事?) I hear they’re deeply in love. (我听说他们热恋了。) *be in love “恋爱”、 “迷恋”。 I hear they’ve fallen in love. *fall in love “恋爱”。 I hear they’ve fallen for each other. I hear they are a hot item. (我听说他们是对热恋情侣。) 她是他的女朋友? Don’t tell me she’s his girlfriend. (她是他的女朋友?) Would I lie to you? (要我对你撒谎吗?) *Don’t tell me ... 直译是“别告诉我……”。 I can’t believe she’s his girlfriend. Wow ... She’s his girlfriend? 你现在和谁约会呢? Who are you dating now? (你现在和谁约会呢?) Why? What’s it to you? (这关你什么事儿?) *date除了“日期”的意思外, 还有“约会”的意思。 *这个对话的回答比较无礼。 Who are you going out with now? *go out with “(和异性)交往”。 Who are you seeing these days? (最近你在和谁约会?) 他长什么样? What does he look like? (他长什么样?) He’s tall and blond. (他很高, 头发是金黄色的。) *look like ... “看起来……”。如果被人这么问的话, 就回答身高、头发的颜色等人的外貌特征。 *blond “金发的”。 Could you describe him? *describe “描述”。 Give me his description. *description “长相”。 Could you describe his appearance? *appearance “外表”。 What is his appearance like? (他长得什么样?) How does he look? Would you describe him? (你能说说他的长相吗?) 小知识 再见 “再见”的说法也有许多种。最常用的告别语是“Goodbye”, 有时也相当于中文里的“我走了”、 “你慢走”的意思。 Bye. *随便的说法。 Catch you later. (再见。) *随便的说法。 So long. *随便的说法。 See you around. (再见。) *随便的说法。 Talk to you later. (再见。) See you later. / See you. (再见。) See you tomorrow. (明天见。) Good night. (晚安。) Have a nice weekend. (周末愉快。) Take it easy. (保重。) Take care. (保重。) Enjoy your vacation. (假日愉快。) I’m looking forward to our next meeting. (我盼着下次见面。) Say hello to Tom for me. (代我向汤姆问好。) Tell Tom I said hi. (代我向汤姆问好。) Give my regards to your family. (代我向你们家人问好。) It was nice talking to you. (很高兴见到你。) Thank you for taking the time to see me. (谢谢你特意来看我。) I appreciate your taking the time to see me. *比上面的说法更加礼貌。

使用道具 举报

66#
发表于 2008-10-24 08:49:27 |只看该作者
大家快下载啊,这个东西50块钱呢

使用道具 举报

67#
发表于 2010-9-4 01:38:44 |只看该作者
好东西

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

Archiver|航空论坛 ( 渝ICP备10008336号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-9 04:18 , Processed in 0.015601 second(s), 8 queries .